1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

WYSIWYG and Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by BradT, Jun 19, 2014.

1. BradT

BradT New Member

So, I just picked up a new Acer Aspire ultrabook with an I7 4500U, 8 gig of RAM and a GeForce GT 750M card (4 gig). WYSIWYG seems to run well, I can actually see the volumetric beams that I couldn't on my older I5 Vaio. However, Windows keeps crashing, usually as soon as I try to pick a colour on my LEDs. Any thoughts on what could be causing this. I`m running Windows 8.1 (64 Bit).

Thanks,
    Brad

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Brad,

What version of the nVidia video card driver do you have installed?

Thanks,

Dany

3. BradT

BradT New Member

Hi Dany,

The driver version is 327.02.

Thanks,
    Brad

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Brad,

That driver is quite old. Please upgrade to version 332.21, which you can download from http://forums.cast-soft.com/index.p...nd-337-88-volumetric-beam-issue.318/#post-835 I realize that this is not the latest driver for your video card, but drivers newer than this will cause problems with Release 32, as discussed in the thread at the top of this Forum, hhttp://forums.cast-soft.com/index.php?threads/nvidia-geforce-driver-334-89-335-23-and-337-88-volumetric-beam-issue.318/#post-835. This problem is resolved in the upcoming Release 33, so once we launch that, you will be able to upgrade to the latest driver. (Release 32 will not be able to take advantage of drivers later than 332.21 until nVidia follows through with their promise to fix the problem that they introduced in driver 334.89, in a future version of the driver.)

Please let me know if the crashes have stopped after you upgraded to driver 332.21.

Cheers,

Dany

#4 Dany, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
  5. BradT

BradT New Member

Hi Dany,

So, I updated the driver to 332.21 and it still seems to be crashing when I try to adjust fixtures in a shaded view in Design Mode. Seems to be okay in Wireframe or Quad view. I should mention that I'm using the R33 Beta. If I do try to adjust fixtures in a Shaded view I get the ''WYSIWYG has stopped working'' window.

Thanks,
    Brad

#5 BradT, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
  6. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Brad,

This is quite strange, and, from the latest information you provided, it almost seems like your video card is not capable of handling the higher resolution of the Shaded View tab--since you state that there is no crash when using the Shaded View in the Quad tab. A few questions:

1. Does this happen in a single file or in multiple files? If you only tried this in one file, please try in at least one other--perhaps in a new file, where you simply inserted a venue, a pipe and a single fixture.
    2. Are the crashes specific to a single fixture type (i.e. all LED fixtures), or do they occur with multiple fixtures when performing the same adjustments?
    3. Which adjustments (i.e. focusing, changing colours, zoom, gobos, etc.) cause the crash--or is it all of them?
    4. Does the crash occur only when you attempt to adjust a single fixture at a time, multiple fixtures at once, or both? If only when adjusting multiple fixtures, does adjusting less stop the crash (and if so what how many selected fixtures cause the crash)?
    5. Do the crashes (in the Shaded View tab, I mean) continue if you make the WYSIWYG application window smaller (maybe a quarter of the screen) and attempt the same adjustments?
    6. Please go through the performance-enhancing tips from the following article, and let me know if things have improved after making the suggested adjustments: http://www.cast-soft.com/wysiwyg/tip/view/improving-performance-in-r32s-shaded-view.

Since you are using Release 33 BETA, as stated in the aforementioned thread, it is safe to upgrade to the latest drivers for your video card--as long as you are not planning to use Release 32 anymore (or at least not with Volumetric beams). If possible, please do this and let me know if the problems have gone away--though (and I'm sorry to have to say this) I do not think they will.

Thanks,

Dany

7. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

For everyone's information, this was not an issue with Windows 8.1 or Brad's computer (except for the much-too-old driver that was pre-installed on it), but rather with the Release 33 BETA, where the Shaded View had trouble rendering beams for certain types of LED fixtures. These issues were found by a BETA tester who reported them to CAST and they were fixed for the final version of Release 33.