1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

wysiwyg for Mac. Why not?

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by vaisanj, Oct 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. vaisanj

vaisanj New Member

Is it totally out of question get wysiwyg for Mac one sunny day? Mac I use is property of company and our IT department won't allow me to use bootcamp....

2. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Well... since a disproportionate amount of theatre people are in fact Mac users, the question is indeed: why not? (Oh, I know that is a lot of work to start development from the ground up for a new platform and that you probably would need different developers to do so, but most of that work needs to be done if wysiwyg has to be ported to 64 bit or to a new rendering engine, I guess) I started a poll in this thread: http://forums.cast-soft.com/index.php?threads/what-platform-do-you-want-to-use-wysiwyg-on.910/

3. ShaunC

ShaunC Member

They're in the process of making Wyg 64-Bit. I guess it would take more developer hours devoted to programming it for an entirely new OS/Hardware (along with on-going support). Could mean less hours spent on developing new features, or they up the price to cover the extra work. Apple don't want new programs using OpenGL which is what the current render engine runs on. Not an easy port, they'd have to code it up with Metal leverage the GPU. Two render engines to support going forward.. Anyway, not impossible, but it sounds like a big project.

4. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

There are three answers to this:
    - If the majority of the (potential) users are on the Mac-platform, Cast might be better off to jump ship
    - If Capture can support two platforms, why can't Cast do the same?
    - DirectX and Metal are much wider used natively by the platforms and by the gaming industry in general. It might be a good idea anyway to look for a more modern rendering engine.

Please note that I am not saying that one platform is better then the other (because that is a whole different discussion... or should I say 'can of worms'?)

#4 Floriaan, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  5. Joe

Joe Member

Actually I'm wonder when we can get Wyg on Linux.... but seriously