1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Quicktool autopatch

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by discodeano1111, Mar 19, 2020.

1. discodeano1111

discodeano1111 New Member

So I'm trying to DMX patch over 70 chauvet epix ip
    This fixture is in the library
    it is a 100 pixel rgb 1 meter batten [300 channels]

When I auto patch every fixture asks for a new universe
    I want them to be 'back to back' and overlap universes for 20 fixtures per driver..

How do I do that? I cant do it in data > patch

Even if I had each fixture address 1 it is very time consuming..

I must have missed an option somewhere ? to allow overlapping universes

These are going to be driven from Madrix..

I have it working temporarily all universe a, address 1 all in unison but that is not what I want!!

Thanks

2. Colin Monk

Colin Monk New Member

Unless I’m missing something in your description, the way Autopatch is working correctly.

The fixture you are patching has 300 channels, and a universe has 512 available therefore only one fixture can fit on a single universe. It is not possible for a single fixture to overlap universes on DMX.

3. discodeano1111

These fixtures are on a 12 universe artnet driver box so they have to overlap.. 20 fixtures on 12 universes

Its quite common with pixel based products for fixtures to overlap universes to make the most of each universe

4. Colin Monk

Colin Monk New Member

Understand that but you are using a fixture with a spacing of 300 therefore wyg can only place it in a spacing that has 300 available slots, it cannot split a fixture (as typically on a DMX device you cannot do this).

5. discodeano1111

Thanks Colin I have raised a ticket for it.. This is a major problem for me if the wyg patch cannot match site patch..

I guess I may have to drop 100x1 led panels under the fixtures and patch them in the way I want if wyg allows that - seems a long way of doing it!
    The physical fixtures are what they are and cannot be changed they are assigned in the driver box 10 batterns per 6 universes [the driver has 2 ports 10 batterns per port 12 universes total]

6. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi there, as per the reply you received from Tech Support, what you are trying to achieve is currently impossible. We were not aware that something like this is achievable with the DMX protocol itself, forgetting about wysiwyg (as @Colin Monk pointed out too). I am by no means doubting that it is, but I haven't been able to find any information about the possibility of somehow circumventing the 512-channel-per-universe limit imposed by the protocol. If this is done via Art-Net or some other such means, we will have to research it and determine what changes are required in order to support such an option. However, the earliest we could start on such a project is after the upcoming R45 is complete (released) this summer, with the outlook to have it added to R46 which is due at the end of the year. That is NOT to say, of course, that the feature will be in R46, just that that's the earliest it might be added -- assuming, of course, that it is possible to do so.

Regards,

7. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

This one caught my eye, Have to love new Tech.

Wrote something then found another video that explained it better. hence the retraction and rewrite here.

So poking around on the web found this the clearest explanation I could find.

At the 2:20 mark it sounds like even with scan, art-net, kling-net if in 300ch mode it be 1 per universe.
    So 20 units / universe's per drive 2000 box. or a max of 12 drive 2000 units /240 300ch mode fixtures per console that can support 256 universes.

This makes more sense to me.

However unless you have a ton of pre programming time I doubt the 300 ch mode would get used often but not saying it wouldn't.
    The 7 ch which is able to be controlled via consoles. and will allow the user to change the basic colors, dimmer and speed but trigger a bunch of macro effects which for as they themselves (Chauvet) say will be the choice festival mode and is really the mode Discodeano1111 really wants but also figure these macros would not be built into Wysiwyg fixture profile (Dany could this be done at all or something to look at moving forward now that were in 64bit mode and the pixel age?)

Now i'm curious about this and their seems to be a lot of free time available right now... I'm sorry Dany. you know how I get with new challenges lol.

#7 Jason Gardash, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020