1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Retrieve Item Data addition

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Floriaan, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

I would like to see an addition to the 'retrieve item data' function. It would be super useful to have the offset of the fixture (respecting the SL to SR or House Left to House right setting off course), so you can add that as a text item to the fixture and also to have it change dynamically as you move the fixture along the flybar.

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Floriaan,

I can add this to our list. Before doing this though, I ask that you consider the following..

Would this really be useful on a lighting plot, which is already busy with fixture symbols and everything associated with them--patch, gobo, etc., etc.? I've seen and created my share of lighting plots (since before they really started to be done in CAD applications), but never did I see the offset for each fixture written or printed on the plot. In my experience, if offsets needed to be measured on a drawn or printed plot, this was done with a scale ruler and/or with the help of a Linear Scale (which can be added to any .wyg file via the Draw menu > Dimensions > Linear Scale tool). But with the advent of pipe tapes, the printing of which was added to WYSWYG version 2 back 1997, even this became a thing of the past--for obvious reasons. I am not arguing that the information isn't useful (especially in the absence of a pipe tape), but rather that having it on a plot may/would make that plot extra busy and perhaps even hard to understand..

Above and beyond this, I also wonder about the usefulness of making this an Item Data... item, because in order to take advantage of it, you would literally have to Retrieve Item Data for each and every fixture in your .wyg file for which you want to show this information, and then create and place the Text Label containing it. Then, if you move that fixture, you would have to move the Text Label separately, because fixture symbols cannot be Grouped with text labels, and cannot be made to. All this considered, would you maybe agree that this would work better as an addition to Fixture Attributes, which always "travel with the fixture"?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dany

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

I understand your point of view. Maybe it's good to define first what the Retrieve Item data is best used for and what the fixture layout items are best used for. I think you are right and it could be like this:

Retrieve Item Data
    - fixture weight
    - pipe/truss weight
    - truss height (not yet implemented)
    - position name
    - # fixtures on pipe/truss

Fixture Layout Items
    - fixture properties like channels, patch, dimmer, circuit, etc.
    - fixture properties like focus, purpose, etc.
    - offset (respecting the setting Stage left to right or House left to right) *

Maybe other users should give their opinion as well

* I prefer this over a linear dimension along a flybars with regular indents, instead of just a measurement where a light is located. You should be able to choose rounded values though. (-1.5 mtrs. Instead of -1.456 mtrs.)