1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Customising Table Sets

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Firebrand, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Firebrand

Firebrand Member

Hi,

Is it possible to create custom table sets from stock tables in the library and a chair created as an insertable?

We have a venue with very specific chairs who were requesting we utilise their chairs in our renderings.

If we created their chair, could we then merge it or save it into a table set, so that we could still utilise the Guest Management feature?

Thanks,

2. Dalight

Dalight New Member

Hello Firebrand,

You can build the chair and "save as" "Programs(x86)-CATS Software-WYSIWYG Release R36-Library-Insertables"

At any time you need the "Chair" you go to "File"-insertables-insert!

I hope i understood your question correctly and that this helps.

3. Firebrand

Firebrand Member

Nah, I know how to do that. It was more utilisation of the Guest Management feature, and incorporating a custom chair with Table Sets and Guest Management.

I heard back from Dany at Cast though, who was a great help.

this was the email i received:

-------
    "The short answer to your question below is, unfortunately, no—for the time being: while you may create a Custom Library Item from a table and the new chair model (Polar-Arrayed as necessary), you will not be able to use it with Guest Management. In answer to your last question though, overcoming this limitation is pretty high on our priority list though, and we are hoping to be able to add it soon.

However, there are a couple of ways to work around this, if you are willing to go through the trouble:

1. [Less time-consuming, but with more downsides.] Do not create a Custom Library Item, but simply use a Table object with the new chair models around it. The downsides to this workaround are that you will not be able to use the Seating Wizard properly, that managing the model (in terms of moving objects around, etc.) may be cumbersome and that in Guest Management these objects will not appear listed “together”.

2. [More time-consuming overall, but with less downsides.] Create TWO “seating” layers:

a. One onto which you place the Custom Library Item that you will create once you have the chair model; you will use this layer for “visual purposes” (i.e. renderings, Layouts, etc.).

b. Another, onto which you place Table Sets (which of course match the “configuration” of the Custom Library Object); you will use this layer for “Guest Management purposes”. The choice of placement of the Table Set objects is yours: either such that they occupy the same space as the Custom Library Objects, or somewhere away from the event space, perhaps “outside” the venue; I believe the latter option will make everything a bit easier to handle, but that’s just me.

The only downside to this workaround is that you will end up with a (much) larger model due to the larger amount of geometry/polygons in the file overall. As such, whether it’s a good option for you or not will depend on the number of tables & chairs required for this event. I would not recommend it if the requirements are above 30-40 tables with eight/ten chairs each unless you happen to be using a powerful computer equipped with a high-end video card as per our system specifications, because a lower-end machine, equipped with an integrated video card, will simply not be powerful enough to handle the large amount of polygons."

---------------

so... pretty much, there's no way to do what I wanted to do yet, but there are a few workarounds (which was kinda the way I'd been doing it) :)