1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Plotting sidelights

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Gonzalocordova, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Gonzalocordova

Hi everybody.
    anyone has a better and fast solution to represent sidelights in presentation mode?
    the point is that everytime I draw in cad mode a complete stage with sidelight, I need to "produce" it again in Pres mode. Does it mean, I need to rotate the boom, for instance, reorder the orientation of the spot, the atributes, etc. and the print to PDF. The problem is that theaters are asking me for a CAD file. The heavy solution is prepare in cad mode the concept in 3d and create a layer with the rotated clone of the sidelight to export to 2D in cad. Is that clear? Is there any other solution? Would be wonderful if I can export from the layout tab of pres mode direct to acad!!! well that is all.....ideas.....thanks
    Gonzalo

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Gonzalo,

This can be done (and has been possible to do since Release 10/September 2004) with three clicks in a New Plot (PRES mode), by simply using the Rotate Position command. For information about this command, please see the WYSIWYG Reference Guide; if you are not familiar with using New Plots, I strongly recommend reading through the entire New Plots section of the Reference Guide, in order to gain an understanding for how they work; I further recommend paying special attention to Links.

Cheers,

Dany

3. Gonzalocordova

Hi Dany. My problem is not already with Pres mode. today a technical director asked me a plot in cad o my new design and I had a lot of spots coming from sidelights. He wants a dwg file. So I did a copy of each boom, create a layer, rotate it in cad mode and the I could export it to dwg without any problem. Is that clear? I need to draw sidelights twice, one to to work in pres mode and the other one to export to dwg. there is something wrong in it? thanks!
    gonzalo

4. Gonzalocordova

HOla Guillermo, claro estemos en contacto! cuando quieras, este programa tiene sus mañas!
    abrazo

5. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry Gonzalo, but you did not mention in your original question that this is for export purposes.. you specifically wrote "anyone has a better and fast solution to represent sidelights in presentation mode?". I would suggest that exporting like you did is completely wrong: if you export to a 3D DWG, all three-dimensional data is maintained and exported, and it should be up to the CAD user to change the file in a way that suits him or her. I am not sure that we would EVER want WYSIWYG to automatically export in a way that you exported for the convenience of your technical director... (And besides, AutoCAD, if that is what he is using, has printing tools that are much, much more powerful than anything in WYSIWYG: these are called Paperspace layouts, where almost anything can be done to the model that was drawn in Modelspace, for printing/presentation purposes.)

Hth,

Dany

6. Gonzalocordova

gracias por tu ofrecimiento

el tema es exportar para el mercado americano donde todos trabajan con vectorwork. Cada vez que viajo me pasa lo mismo. Entonces transfiero vector al wyg via dxf, lo trabajo en wyg y exporto a cad....
    Se que en un mundo civilizado wyg es un concept program, en general se empieza a desarrollar el proceso ahí y se termina de dibujar en VW y el paperwork se hace en LW. En general insisto que con pequeños cambios podemos acercarnos, por ejemplo hatch command para cad mode y algun tipo de mejora en los report para superar al bruto excell. Creo que ambos puntos son puntos flojos del programa. Es interesante la respuesta de Dany, le tira la pelota al director técnico. que opinas? abrazo

7. Gonzalocordova

I understood Dany! however the american market still impose Vectorworks as state of art in drafting and Lightwright in paperwork and I would love to do everything in WYG!!!!!!!!
    Yes I know, you will say, but you can in wyg......yes I know, but it is not easy to draw a plot "in profesional way" and prepare paperwork as well...