1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

3D text?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by Bobby, Oct 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Hello Everyone!

Forgive me if this has been asked before, I did a search and did not find it. But is there an easy way to create 3d text without drawing it by hand? I feel like I saw something about this feature a few releases ago, but can't see to find it.

Ultimately I was sent a rendering for a gig that has the company's name in 3D as part of the scenery and I would like to create a similar look in wysiwyg. I'll keep looking for the answer, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

2. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

Easiest is to ask the scenic designer to provide you with a sketchup or 3D autocad file of the set and merge that with your lighting plot in wyg. Otherwise you’d have to follow the lines of a text as a surface and then extrude it. That’s a lot of work.

Firebrand likes this.
  3. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Yup, what Floriaan said... or you can just do this yourself in SketchUp and import the file. Note that in order to import .skp files must be saved in the 2016 format; this is the latest version that WYSIWYG can import for the time being.

Firebrand likes this.