1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

autofocus for ETC Eos software

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Floriaan, Apr 1, 2017.

?

Are you using ETC lighting desk?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

John Bishop likes this.
  2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Floriaan,

We, too, would like nothing more than to see ETC, and so many other manufacturers who are Registered WYSIWYG Developers (RWDs), develop console connectivity drivers which support AutoFocus--and AutoPatch too! This option is available to all RWDs (and ETC is an RWD). However, as I explained (to you, it turns out ;)) in this thread, CAST cannot tell a console manufacturer what to do, what to develop... so if ETC chooses not to write a proprietary connectivity driver, but instead to connect to WYSIWYG via the generic EDMX or Art-Net or sACN protocols, that is their choice. And it is simply impossible to make AutoFocus (and AutoPatch) work via a generic protocol, because these protocols require a driver which is able to pass information/data to the console--meaning that that driver has to be written for that, specific console.

I am glad to see that there is a discussion about this over on ETC's Forum as well.. perhaps ETC will take notice and actually go ahead with driver development. As to the last comment in the thread you mentioned, good idea on the poster's part, but unfortunately things don't work that way: unfortunately, the Hog4 driver cannot be "adapted" to work with the EOS (because that driver was written for the Hog4 and a driver for the EOS would have to be written for it) but, of course, the principles are the same. If ETC was willing to go ahead with this though, they can probably use the knowledge that High End gathered back in 2015 when they revamped their driver. (The very unfortunate thing about that revamp was that High End was unwilling to expand AutoFocus functionality beyond what Flying Pig Systems originally implemented back in 2003.. this is why WYSIWYG users are only able to use AutoFocus for Intensity, Pan & Tilt, Iris and Colour Mixing when connected to the Hog4, but can use it for Colour Wheels, Gobo Wheels, Prism Wheels and Zoom (in addition to the previous parameters of course) when connected to consoles such as grandma/2, Vector and MagicQ, among others. But, as you can probably tell by now, there isn't much we at CAST can do about this, because, again, the manufacturer/RWD gets to decide how to implement the connectivity. I have personally written to them on a number of occasions, asking if they wouldn't be willing to help our mutual users out, but nothing was ever done.. and for the record, this is not something super-complex, that requires weeks or months of development: many of the RWDs who have implemented this functionality usually had a fully-working driver, with either just AutoFocus or with both AutoFocus and AutoPatch within a week of receiving our SDK... I know because I'm the one who sends out the SDK and I'm also the one who certifies the driver before its release.)

Hth.

Dany

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

Thank you for your long and elaborate answer. If you allow me, I would like to bring this also to the attention to the good folks at ETC. In the mean time, people using wysiwyg and etc lighting boards should send 'encouraging' emails and forum post to the etc software developers. If enough users would like to see this implemented, they might spend this week of effort...
    But hey, maybe I am the only one...

#3 Floriaan, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

There was a suggestion from the ETC community, that there could be a more universal solution. Cast should then overhaul the autofocus and autopatch on their side and let it work over OSC instead of via proprietary drivers, since that is a standard that most professional lighting desks support at the moment.

5. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

As I explained at the end of the first paragraph above, this is likely not possible. However, I was not aware of this protocol, so I will look more into it and analyze, together with our Software Development team, if it may be possible to add this to WYSIWYG.

The problem with such a protocol is that I very much doubt ETC or any other console manufacturer would be willing to use it for this purpose, because it is an open protocol, meaning that its data stream is unencrypted. A major advantage to a proprietary driver (i.e. one built with the WYSIWYG SDK) and the condition that many console manufacturers imposed before agreeing to add Autofocus and/or AutoPatch to their WYSIWYG drivers, is/was that the data stream between WYSIWYG and the driver be encrypted; only after we added encryption did most of them implement these features. (An driver utilizing an open source protocol could not possibly be encrypted because the open nature of the protocol would demand that everyone using has access to the decryption key, negating the purpose of encryption in the first place.)

6. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

Ehm. I don't think my dmx is encrypted either ;-)
    Most people are not visualizing over the internet, but rather would use a standalone network. So this is a non-issue, I guess.
    Using OSC probably means that you could skip the driver altogether. You just need to specify the ip-adress of the transmitting and receiving ends, as well as the ports that you are using.
    It is currently supported by:
    • ETC EOS family of lighting desks.
    • GrandMA2
    • Whole Hog 4
    • Martin M-Series
    • ChamSys MagicQ
    • Avolites
    • Freestyler
    • CueLab
    • Luminair – A partner of yours?
    • LightJams
    • Isadora
    To name a few.

And ETC is actively encouring people to come up with new uses of OSC through the github developer network.

7. sktusing

sktusing New Member

Hi Dany,

A few comments, and questions from an Eos user:

What is the purpose of encrypting the data stream between AutoFocus and the console? As an end user, this is an extra layer of unnecessary complication. As Floriaan has mentioned, it isn’t standard to connect an Eos console directly to the internet.

Why do AutoFocus and AutoPatch require a proprietary connection protocol? You’re not sending a huge amount of info - and even if you are, OSC and the console can handle it.

Which leads me to ask - Why not use OSC? There are many people who have written applications that will patch the console using OSC, or even straight UDP strings. It is simple enough to translate output from a piece of software to the Eos - and implementing OSC would no longer lock you in to using a proprietary protocol opening up even more markets.

ETC has repeatedly stated that OSC is the preferred method of getting information in and out of the console. Again, encryption shouldn’t need to factor into this as the lighting networks are closed systems.

Best,
    Scott

8. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

I am still eargerly awaiting this functionality more then anything else. I am wondering what the status is. I hope to get it before my subscription ends in two years ;-)

9. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Member

Same here.
    It would make my whole setup much more usable.

10. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi all,

This is something that was recently put forward again, so we are reviewing the proposal once more. I will post more information here as soon as it becomes available.

Cheers,

Dany

Floriaan likes this.