1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Curved survace DWG import

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by Lumi_Jay, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Lumi_Jay

Lumi_Jay Member

Hello all,
    Looking for suggestions for the best way to import curved surfaces from a DWG file.
    Wysiwyg will not import these curved surface from my CAD file. See screenshot below.

Wysiwyg ignores anything that has curves in the XY axis, but will import flat surface on the XY axis with curves on the Z axis

Attached Files:

2. Lumi_Jay

Lumi_Jay Member

Well, problem solved by adding a 1/4 inch thickness in CAD to the curved surfaces.
    Cheers

3. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Jay,

It's funny that you asked this question just as we are working (since Monday) on an R40 feature that would allow for such objects to import into WYSIWYG. Would it be possible for you to send me the original version of this file (i.e. where you didn't add thickness to the surfaces) so we can ensure that we are "heading in the right direction"? If so, please email the file to me at techsupport(at)cast(dash)soft(dot)com.

Thanks so much!

Dany

4. Lumi_Jay

Lumi_Jay Member

Hey Dany,
    I'll clean up the CAD file (It's a Cirque project, gotta keep some of it secret ;) ) but I'll send you only the curves monday from the original file.
    I got a ton of great ideas like that ;-) hopefully you guys are bringing the "quick object group selection" idea in R40
    Cheers,

5. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Sounds good Jay--thank you! :)

The feature you mentioned above is already in WYSIWYG, although in a slightly different "form"... right-click in any Wireframe (i.e. any Mode) and have a look at the various "Select..." options in the middle of the pop-up menu.

Thanks again,

Dany