1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

distorted views when panning

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by nigel e, May 31, 2019.

1. nigel e

nigel e New Member

This has been a major problem for a long long time in windows XP, 7 and 10 on 4 different laptops and 3 different desktops. When I start to pan and tilt and zoom the view sooner or later the whole image is stretched and distorted and completely useless. Resetting the X, Y and Z sometimes helps but only about 25% of the time. I am now going to have to reboot and hope it goes away, when when when will this be fixed?

Attached Files:

2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hello Nigel,

There is actually nothing to fix here. To my knowledge (of 20+ years using the software and 16+ years working at CAST supporting it) it is quite rare to get into such situations if using Camera operations/commands as intended, but I suppose it's possible that you are not using them quite correctly somehow... As such, my recommendation here is to read the Camera Controls section of the WYSIWYG Reference Guide (search the PDF for camera controls) as well as to watch the video at the end of this message, which demonstrates most controls. (This is a video tutorial for our other software, Vivien, but the controls are exactly the same.)

That said, when you DO get into such situations while using the World Camera, you may simply click the Reset button on the Camera toolbar to bring the World Camera back to its default position and zoom level:

upload_2019-5-31_10-48-47.png

When using a Standard Camera resetting the X, Y and/or Z rotation will only re-orient the camera, not change its zoom. You may change the zoom by using the mouse wheel of course, or access the Camera's Properties (or the Camera Manager) and manually define its Field Angle; the default Field Angle for WYSIWYG Cameras is 53.13º.

upload_2019-5-31_11-3-19.png

Please let me know if you have further questions about this,

Dany

Attached Files:

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

If you want the camera closer but have the zoom the same, use CTRL+MouseWheel to get closer to what you want to see.

These distorted images are quite often the result of drawing far away from the origin, so zooming in feels the most logic thing to do. But you shouldn’t. Try moving the camera instead with the method described above.

4. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Thanks Floriaan. Good points. While experimenting with / learning how to use the camera, it is best to work in a tab which offers at least two panes, one set to Shaded View and the other set to Wireframe so you can see the wireframe representation of the Camera while you are manipulating (it in) the Shaded View. (You can use the Quad tab or a Custom tab.)