1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

FAL Templates: This is a weird one, y'all.

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by ADK, May 9, 2019.

1. ADK

ADK Member

Hi everyone,

Wondering if there is a way to quickly swap between sets of FALs for printing. Basically I have two sets of people reading my stuff, and they're all blind. So some of them need the fixture numbers big, some of them need the addresses big.

It's going to be a pain in the ass to set up, so I'm kind of secretly hoping the answer is no, but is there a way to switch FALs for all fixtures in one step? It can also be tied to a layout, so I can make a layout per print need.

Thanks!
    AK

2. ShaunC

ShaunC New Member

I don't think there is a way to change the FALs Globally for your file. It would be nice to be able to 'Apply FAL to All' or to certain fixture types all at once.

With your layouts, you can specify which Fixture Attribue Details show up at a 'per layout level'. So you can have a layout which shows Spot# but not Patch, and another layout which shows Patch and Spot#. But you can't have the different sizes.

3. ADK

ADK Member

Unfortunately that looks like the way to go (which is honestly completely reasonable based on most users' needs). I'm just adjusting things going forward to make that easier.

Even by fixture type wouldn't really make my life easier, because I've got ~50 drawings for this current show, and the fixture type counts are daunting.

I guess what I'm looking for is more a rule set that can be imported/exported and applied per document or layout to manage all FALs.

Thanks anyway!

4. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

What you could do is make one FAL but use spot and channel numbers with the same fixture layout, colour and symbols and on the same place relative to the fixture and the same with Patch and Dimmer. On one of the plans you only show spot and patch, on the other you show channel and dimmer. This takes you only slightly more time on the properties of the fixture. You could use an offset on the channel in quicktools maybe or just copy the values in the data sheet.

5. ADK

ADK Member

@Floriaan good thought, but unfortunately I use both fixture and channel IDs in my show files, and I need both fields.

I am not working super hard on it because frankly they should be able to function with fixture schedules. Thought I'd ask, though. Thanks!