1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Feature Request: Quick Cabling and connect Tool

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Floriaan, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

I have an idea for a new feature. It should be a new Quick Tool, like the quick focus tool. With this tool you can first draw focus points or lines and then assign fixtures to it.
    With this new tool you can draw Dimmers / PSU's (DIM1, DIM2, PSU SL, PSU DSR, etc. ) on the CAD plan.
    Then when you click a fixture you can 'connect' the fixture to the dimmer. Wysiwyg then calculates the shortest possible/feasible straight line from the fixture to the dimmer (following these rules: first along the fly bar or truss in the direction of the dimmer, then straight up or down along the z-axys, then straight along the y-axys towards the dimmer, then straight along the x-axys towards the dimmer).

You can then calculate cable lengths for each fixture and your total cable lengths for the whole project.

- Extra super great would be the possibility to indicate available cable lengths: 5 meter, 10 meter, 15 meter, 20 meter.
    - Extra super great would be the possibility to combine fixtures to one dimmer or power supply and calculate the best place for a split.
    - The same could be applied to DMX distribution
    - The same could be applied to Multicores

Let me know what you think about this in the comments below

Firebrand likes this.
  2. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

Been something I've had several sit down chats with the guys at Cast about. I do like some of your ideas as an approach but I also seen and heard reasons why this has been taking so long to make happen.
    I been also pushing for a way to make cable charts to export via data sheets
    It's nice to see another person requesting though.
    I know if you could send a few drawing examples of how you are currently dealing with cabling in your plots it will help the guys find common patterns and ways to approach it.

I played with the VW way but not enough to form an option on it. Seen in auto cad as well but again not enough to say much about it

Over all I think its a lower priority on the list but I know its on my list to chat about again when I see them in April.

3. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Thank you for bringing this up, Floriaan! Your ideas are great. As Jason said, we've been thinking about this for a long time (personally, I've been at it for at least five years), but it is not something we can add in the near future, I don't think. (That said, what you wrote above is pretty much what I've been mulling over, though the details I've considered go beyond all this and include quite a lot more.) Like Jason also said, if you want to send me (or post on here) samples of how you draw your cable layouts/runs, this would definitely help with the feature's design.

... And the same goes for everyone who reads this thread and wishes to contribute ideas/samples. :)

Cheers,

Dany