1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Getting rid of diagonal lines in surfaces + other questions

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Numberwrong, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Numberwrong

Numberwrong Member

Hi,

I have imported a drawing in to Wyg (R40) originally done in vectorworks but exported to ACad. It imports fine but the stage, which is quite complex with different levels and lots of curved steps etc has diagonal lines everywhere making it hard to see what level is what in plan view. I assume this is because each section is a 'surface'.

Is there a quick easy way to eliminate these diagonal lines to make the plot easier to read? I have tried breaking the object in to lines but I'm going to have to delete every unwanted line of which there are a lot!

Thanks.

As I'm here here is a list of other question I had on my note pad. Feel free not to respond to these. the above question the one I really want to know.

vvvvvvvvvvvv

How do you show a legend for points types (eg audio, video point, 0.5t or 2t point)

Is there a short cut for going back or forward one on quick tools? I would find this really useful.

I can't find any symbols for for stage fans and electrical symbols (like the lighting bolt in a triangle), do I have to make or import my own?

There are some smoke and atmosphere machines not in the fixture library ie Pea Soup Phantom and Jem ZR 44. Is this a library issue or should I be looking else where? I want to treat these units like a fixture in wyg with DMX and Power info added to the plot/reports.

How do you snap to the centre of a line of truss made of different length sections? mid point seems to snap to lots of places, one of which looks like the centre but I can't be sure.

How do I change to work in mm not M? changing the draw defaults to mm precision still means I am typing in coordinates in M

Text wrap doesn't seem to work in work sheets ie the file name will not wrap and comes out of the cell on my layout. am I doing something wrong?

Sorry if this barrage of questions is a bit cheeky!
    Thanks in advance

2. roygbiv

roygbiv Member

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer to your import question. If WYG can't convert a Vectorworks object straight to a Surface or Riser, I would guess it tries to break it into triangular Surfaces or lines.

Haven't messed to much with it but with R40, the Rigging Symbol now has position data and has it's own default report now. Point types are probably still not a part of any legend setup, but you can build your own Legend in the CAD view, so it's a part of your drawing. I have done that multiple times.

Yes, if you right click while you are "Quick Tooling", you will see that D is decrement, I is increment, F is finish quick tools, and Q is change quick tools options.

Fixtures > Type > Fan includes the "Jem AF-1", "Fan 1.6m DMX" and "MagicFX Stage Propeller".
    For lighting bolts (placement of breakout for example), I have made my own lighting bolt with lines ;)

It is just a question of asking Peter from Library Department to add them to the Library, Libraries.Development@cast-soft.com. Include data sheet/DMX sheet for him.

Now, I would rarely have that need, as I place all of my fixtures on Pipes and place them fx on the bottom chord of the truss. This makes changing truss types/sections much easier, and distribution spacing is not fantastic with truss. As a general rule, use help lines whenever you can :)

Precision under Draw Defaults is for how many digits Dimensions and the like should display. Actually I don't think it's possible to be able to use millimeters. As many users come from AutoCAD and the like, you can wonder why that is not implemented. I just had a look in the reference manual regarding Scaling and the Coordinate system, and it's not mentioned as far as I could see.

Don't know.

Sorry if this barrage of questions is a bit cheeky!
    Thanks in advance

3. Numberwrong

Numberwrong Member

Thanks Roygbiv. much appreciated