1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Google drive stream warning

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Floriaan, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Here’s a warning for people that are saving their wysiwyg files to Google’s new Drive Stream service. It doesn’t play well with the way wysiwyg saves files. This can lead to complete data loss. Even the .bak files are deleted during a save show. Only save as... sort of works. But then you loose the original file.

I hope this will be sorted out at some point on either end.

2. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

I'm also having some issues, but some of them are the same as I had with the old Google Drive.
    Because of the way we in our company share files, I'm not saving to WYG projects, but the old fashioned way with saving to "ordinary" folders.

Often I get an error stating that I don't have writing permissions, so I cannot overwrite files from WYG. Even though it has been saved once, if I close WYSIWYG and chose save file, I'm only left with a .bak and maybe a .tmp file in my folder structure. Within the last two weeks, I've lost hours of work.

I've been meaning to address this, but I have had no idea how to write the error... I'm not even still completely sure it has to do with Google Drive/Stream

3. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi guys,

Thank you for posting this. A user contacted us about an issue that turned out to be related to this, so we've been testing, and should have an explanation soon. In the meantime, please do not save your files directly to Google Drive, a network drive, or anything else other than a local hard drive; I would even advise against saving straight to a USB drive, in order to ensure that your file doesn't get corrupted. Simply copy the file from wherever it is to your Desktop (or a folder that you know is on a local drive, i.e. one that's connected to your motherboard via a SATA cable), open it from there, work on it, save-save-save, and when done, move the file back to where it was. This has always been our advice; it is even mentioned in the known issues section of the Release Notes--but, I realize now, we only talk about network drives there, so I will have this amended.

Thanks again,

Dany

P.S. Regarding Projects, they are currently not working all that well, so I advise against using them for the time being but we will to update them in one of this year's Releases.