1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Help Creating Set Pieces

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by jacklampy, Jan 11, 2017.

1. jacklampy

jacklampy New Member

I was hoping to use Adobe Illustrator to vector out some existing artwork for set piece. That was fine. Not to hard to do that.

The trick(for me anyway) is figuring out how to bring that into WYSIWYG to use as surfaces for my set. They are flat, but have complex 2D shapes.

Maybe some one that has done this could suggest something. At first I I thought taking these vector files into Sketchup might be the trick, but I'm new to Sketchup too. I think this would be possible with a little more time, but I'm having trouble importing my sample DWG files into WYSIWYG in the first place. Someone suggested I import the PNG files as a floor plan and use WYSIWYG tools to create the surfaces, but they are very complex shapes and would require a lot of tedious time too build. My second issue with that is I can't for the life of me figure out how to scale the image to the size I want with the wizard or with illustrator to make it work. Everything I import comes in huge.

I made some basic shapes to represent the idea conceptually and the client likes that, but I really want to show them a final product and without this step, I'm a bit stuck. Any wisdom or advise would be highly appreciated.

See attached images.

Attached Files:

#1 jacklampy, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

This is a very interesting problem, however, I think you're in luck if I understood your situation.
    As far as I understand, you want to bring in 2d (flat surfaces) complex images, as a background or part of your set.

In R38 came the possibility to use Alpha Masks, which can be used very creatively. Your PNGs already have transparency in the file, which is all you need in order for a surface or a very low riser (height 0.001m) to have virtual cuttings. The cuts can be lit and will cast the correct shadows if needed, I've made some shaded views in order for you to see the behavior. -it's really very simple.

Making a cut go all the way through a riser with a visible height will not give good results unfortunately, as the alpha masking only works on the surface of the surface/riser - in flowertest 3+4 I tried to make the sides transparent, so you can see.

So all in all I hope you only have to do a flat surface and can use this solution.

By the way, you should avoid using Anti aliasing in your files - below is the recommended use from Cast regarding Alpha texturing (taken from the R38 Beta release notes):

"WYSIWYG R38 supports Alpha Mapping with PNG images. As shown by the images below, when the alpha channel
    identifies a transparent section in an image, the camera can look “through” this section, and beams will also pass
    through these sections as well."
    [alpha.png]

"When creating alpha textures, we recommend that Antialiasing should not be used when cutting out the
    transparent parts of the images. In the next screenshot, there is a side by side comparison of the same texture
    with the left side not using Antialiasing while the right side used Antialiasing on the “Hello Alpha” texture. As you
    will notice, the lower-right corner of the screenshot has an unexpected outline around the letters.
    [helloalpha.png]"

Attached Files:

3. jacklampy

jacklampy New Member

I just downloaded the new software yesterday and didn't realize this feature was a game changer.

You just blew my mind! This is amazing! And the new software looks really good!

Thanks so much for the response.