1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Highend Workstation thoughts

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Gustavo Buss, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Gustavo Buss

Gustavo Buss New Member

Hello lads,

in my company we want to upgrade/renew our hardware.

It should be capable to run smooth 2 UHD Screens + 1 FHD Screen.

We work on files with 300 - 500 Fixtures maybe more.

In our last project we had 20800 Objects and a lighting complexity: Very High

We draw the most of our Projects with Material informations.

We do consolidate mesh.

At the moment i was thinking in a rig like this :

Mainboard: X299 Dark
    CPU: Core i9-7980XE @ 4,3 GHz Watercooled
    GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio
    GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio
    RAM; Trident Z RGB Series schwarz, DDR4-3600 64/32 GB
    SSD: 960 PRO NVMe SSD / 512 GB
    PSU: Professional Platinum Series AX1600i
    PCI: 2x Gigabit Netzwork card
    Software Windows 10 pro 64 gb
    Wyg R40/41 Perform

I know the performance boost from a SLI System is not so high but we hope that the Cast Envelopment team will push it forward with NV LINK + Raytracing tech coming more popular.

Right now we have a dual Xeon 6 cores older CPU and a Titan (first generation)

In the 20k obejects project we got like 3 - 6 frames in shaded view with materials and Haze turned on. Volumetric to 60%

Hope you guys can give me some thoughts.

#1 Gustavo Buss, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  2. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

I am curious to hear what the Cast guys have to say about the double graphic card setup. I thought Wyg only uses one.
    Also did you consider an video input card as well? Or at least have the slots and PSU headroom available to add this at a later date maybe?

3. Gustavo Buss

Gustavo Buss New Member

I think i had read that SLI/NVI Link is supported bbut only 20% scaleability.
    Indeed i forgot about the input Card :eek:
    But i have 400 watts headroom.

thank you for the input.

4. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Gustavo,

Before you go ahead and purchase such an expensive system, I strongly recommend reading the Improving Performance in Shaded Views article on our website, https://cast-soft.com/wysiwyg/improving-performance-in-shaded-view/. Many users believe that simply throwing more hardware at WYSIWYG will improve performance, but this is simply not always the case--especially so if your current system/s is/are not more than two or three years old. In many cases, optimizing the geometry in files is all that's needed in order to boost performance; the following thread will teach you about geometry optimization: http://forums.cast-soft.com/index.php?threads/geometry-optimization-and-file-efficiency.283/; please ensure that you click the "Part 1" and "Part 2" links in the first message in order to read and gain a complete understanding of how WYSIWYG's Shaded View engine works... understanding this is the key to understanding the optimization process.

In order to provide proper feedback on the system, I would need to see examples of the kinds of files that you typically work with, but here are some general thoughts.

- The i9 chip will not provide much advantage over an i7, unless you plan to render a whole lot (but in that case you can probably go for a XEON which will work much better for a lower price). (Imho, i9 chips are a waste of silicon.)

April 26, 2019 UPDATE: the above was my impression of i9 chips when I wrote this message, in October 2018. The i9 CPUs released since are better, at least based on spec; we haven't tested one yet, but we're hoping to do so a little later this year.

- For the time being (i.e. until we release the 64bit version of WYSIWYG) 16GB of RAM is more than enough for a WYSIWYG workstation--and even after that, I cannot tell you if 32GB will offer any advantage, much less 64GB.. and we will not perform any memory/memory consumption tests until we get into the final builds of the 64bit version. As such, I have no further information to offer here, but I will say that if you plan to use the system for other apps which are 64bit, 32GB of RAM is probably a good idea.

- You are correct in that SLI will only provide up to a 20% boost.. if you think that's worth an extra couple of thousand dollars or whatever those cards cost, by all means, go ahead. Please do note that we did not yet test with any RTX cards, so I have no information regarding their performance. 1080Ti work extremely well though!

Should you wish to send some files in for analysis, please send them to techsupport(at)cast(hyphen)soft(dot)com, and include the Serial Code of the dongle you are using, along with the name, email address and company name of the person to whom this dongle is registered. Please note that in order to qualify for file analysis assistance, your Membership must be up-to-date.

Regards,

#4 Dany, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019