1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Layer states

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by roygbiv, Apr 14, 2014.

1. roygbiv

roygbiv Member

I have spent quite a lot of time in the Autocad environment, and one of the things I really like is the layer handling.

AutoCad has layer states and the difference between that and layer scenes, is that the states among other things remember if a layer is editable or not.
    Right now I'm sitting with a document from a venue - by default. they have 30+ layers before even drawing anything. It would save a lot of time for me to be able to go between Scenes, but I would be even faster if I had the option to include all layers to my scenes, also the ones I don't want editable.

Also, AutoCad dims the locked (not editable) layers - quite nice too.

Am I missing something? Is it already possible maybe?

2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Bo,

I'm not sure I am fully understanding you here, but first of all, it is indeed possible to select one, many or all Layers and include them into a scene, by simply clicking the 'New Scene from Selected Layers' button at the top of the Layer Database window, as you can see in the screenshot I attached here. Naturally, this (and more) can also be done from the Scene Database window, which is accessible from the Edit menu.

New_Scene_from_Selected_Layers.jpg

As for remembering Layer states when switching Scenes, I am not as familiar with AutoCAD as you are (I didn't even know AutoCAD had a Scenes feature), but I am not sure how this would work because Layer states are a property of the Layer, not of the Scene--or at least, they are in WYSIWYG. Still, it is an interesting idea, and one definitely worth considering, as is the dimming of uneditable layers. (What would you expect to happen to layer states when you switch from a specific Scene to "(All Layers)"--should the Layers remain in the same state as they were in the Scene, or revert to the state they were in before you switched away from "(All Layers)" previously?)

If anyone else has any ideas here, please feel free to join the discussion! :)

Dany

3. Bhagat

Bhagat Member

I'm not familiar with acad too, but it would be great if a layer could be editable in one scene, and not in the other. Also the dimming, or predefined color would be a nice feature as well.
    B