1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Layout merge

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Lumi_Jay, May 17, 2018.

1. Lumi_Jay

Lumi_Jay Member

Hello,

We built a default template file for Wysiwyg with the company's official layout.
    I was sure when merging 2 Wysiwyg files, the layouts and images would merge as well, but obviously the layouts are now stuck on an empty blank wyg file.

Is there any way to share these layouts with everyone working with wyg at the company, without having to re-import one by one the image base, the worksheets and the layouts themselves as template?

2. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Member

Hi,
    I also noted that the fixture groups were not merged between files either?
    is this correct behaviour or am I doing something wrong?

Sander

3. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi,

For the time being, when you Merge a .wyg file, only Looks and Patch Shortcuts get merged -- and Looks only if the 'Ignore Shortcuts' option is unchecked. We are aware of this deficiency, and are planning to address it, but this will not happen for the upcoming R41, which is due this summer, so it will be R42 at the earliest.

@Lumi_Jay: In the meantime you have two options:

1. Save the blank file you created as a WYSIWYG Template file (.WYT), from which you start every new file from now on. Information regarding the use of template files is in the WYSIWYG Reference Guide, but here are a couple of quick tips: (a) ideally, they should be saved in the %UserProfile%\Documents\WYSIWYG Files\Template Files\WYT Files folder; and (b) you should open them in their own .WYT format after you install a new version of WYSIWYG and resave them (aftrer making any necessary modifications, if any) in that version.

2. The first option is good for new files only though, so if you wish to use the same Layout in old files, save it as a Layout Template, open the old file and create a new Layout from that Layout Template. As with Template files, the use of Layout Templates is described in the Reference Guide.

Cheers,

Dany

4. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

I work with layouts all the time. Merging works fine as long if you start with the right file.
    To use your new layouts with old files do it in this order (assumed you made a template file):
    1. Open your template file (.wyt) with all the correct layouts, predefined layers, centreline, etc.
    2. perform a save (as...) to make your new version name of the old show
    3. Merge the old file
    4. save again.

For me this does the trick for almost all functions. It even works for most layer groups, images etc.
    The only annoying thing is that scenes with the same names do not get merged, but duplicated.

If you try this starting from the old file and merge the new file in from there, it doesn't quite work the same.

sanderloonen likes this.
  5. Lumi_Jay

Lumi_Jay Member

Yes, I know that Floriaan,
    but working with Wyg files from other LD, we loose all their design looks and layouts when merging to our in-hous templates.
    This was the issue here.

6. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

Understood. So then, it would be useful to export design looks as well, won’t it?

7. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Sorry guys, but now I'm confused. Looks from Design mode DO come across when a .wyg file is merged into another (via the File menu > Merge feature in CAD mode) unless the "Ignore Shortcuts" checkbox is checked while merging. As such, there is no problem here after all... right? I mean, if you want to both bring the CAD model (complete with venue, set, hang structures, lights, etc., etc.) and Looks in from another .wyg file, AND print with your company's specific "print setup" (by which I mean "Layout Template"), both options I described above will work: you can open the .wyg file from another LD, go to PRES > Layouts and create one or more new layouts from your company's Layout Template(s), OR you can start a new .wyg file from a .wyT template file that you set up, Merge the .wyg file from the LD into this new .wyg file without ignoring Shortcuts, then go to PRES > Layouts and Print.

Please note that in either case you will probably have to, at the very least, adjust the position of the CAD model within the CAD Item(s) on the Layouts (http://cast-soft.com/wysiwyg/layouts-adjusting-the-position-of-the-model-within-a-cad-item/); in addition, you may need to adjust the size of any Report Items you may have inserted onto your Layouts, in order to better-fit the information they're supposed to display. (Iow, if you envisioned a Report Item to show the fixture count and you allowed something like "ten lines of text" for it, if for one show you only have six different types of fixtures but in another you have twenty different types, you'll have a bunch of white space at the bottom of the Report Item in the first case, and half the fixtures won't appear in the second case. Needless to say, this is normal, given the way WYSIWYG works today.)

Hth,

Dany

8. Lumi_Jay

Lumi_Jay Member

Thank you Dany,
    To be fair I re-read the initial question and I was not very clear.
    We changed the workflow in-house to have everyone start off the same .wyg file with production team, layouts, company images all set to the right values.