1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

LED Tape Wizard

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Derek Welker, May 3, 2018.

1. Derek Welker

Derek Welker New Member

To my knowledge, there is no way to create a strip of LED tape in WYG. Would that be a possibility in a future release? I tried to use the LED Wizard and it would not allow me to enter in the dimensions of the tape I am looking to use. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

We are hoping to have this in R42, due at the end of the year, but I cannot guarantee this yet. In the meantime, please post the requirements for the LED Tape you are trying to use and I'll see if I can figure it out.

3. Max

Max New Member

Any update on an LED tape wizard, or a decent workaround?

4. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

The specification for this feature is complete and implementation was started, but then most development resources had to be diverted to 64bit implementation, so this feature was pushed to R44, due at the end of the year.

In the meantime, your only option if you need to see actual LED pixels, is to create single-row or single-column LED Walls, as in a manner of speaking, that is what LED tape is. If all you need is a "glow effect" from long and thin strips, you could simply draw Surfaces or even just Lines, and use Light Emission to simulate this. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Dany

5. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

Unless you need to use renders rather then just exports of shaded views. In that case light emitting surfaces do not work.

6. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

In what way do they not work?

7. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

It would not give you an accurate ‘glow’ as you would have with a real fixture. In the renders the surface lights up, but it does not actually light objects in my experience.

8. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Thanks Floriaan. It took a bit of experimenting, but I see what you mean. I've passed this information over to the Shaded View Engine team, and they will check what improvements they can make. Note that this will not happen for the upcoming R43.