1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

looks tracking ideas?

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Gonzalocordova, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Gonzalocordova

I am user of Wyg Design and I prepare my presentations in different running looks/cue.
    But sometimes, when I used moving lights and several focus position and pallets I do not remember what I did in the end. For instance to call my look to a light-board console programmer. Is that clear?
    Is there no other possibility to track the look view than having the live module?
    I would like to have some track/look sumarize or something like this to recover what I did to build the look. I do not want to learn any lighting board.
    What do you think?

2. roygbiv

roygbiv Member

So you want a data sheet for each and every look, and each and every moving light value. (Like a "preset/palette" output from a lighting desk?)

Not that I know of. I have never had the need for this function myself, but I see your point.

I use a Design dongle, but if I need to make multiple looks, I have access to a Perform dongle, so I have not had that need.

3. Gonzalocordova

I prefer to handle all the information in wyg design.
    The point is that I would like to keep myself inside the borders of the lighting designer! I mean, if I need to make a show I hire someone who has wyg perform. I do not want to learn any board!
    Regarding this issue, the perform upgrade is not a currently solution for me to create and reproduce my looks. Perhaps this is like you said, I would love a preset/palette report.
    I do not know what the wyg people think about it....
    thanks for your answer

4. Dino

Dino Dino Mazza | Product Manager | CAST Software

Hi Gonzalo,

I'm also interested to hear what the wyg people have to say about this idea. :)

I think this is a great suggestion. I understand your point that you want to remain within the boundaries of WYG Design, and as Bo suggested, have the ability to create some new report(s) which lists all fixture parameters of each look.

And yes, this report could be called (read) to the console programmer to recreate your look, definitely makes sense. I'm sure as we think about it more, some more ideas will come to mind.

Thanks!

#4 Dino, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
  5. Nick C

Nick C New Member

Hi Guys

Could a fixture parameters copy and paste function do this?

IE: you could switch between your looks, select the fixtures you like and copy their parameters from one look to the next.

It would also need options for what you wanted to copy, Position, Colour and Beam.

That would be very handy indeed!

Cheers

#5 Nick C, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
  6. Gonzalocordova

Yes Dino! I would like to live inside the boundaries of Wyg Design! Let me briefly explain you that I use this program also as a set designer. I do 2 or 3 big projects each year, and I always try to improve the quality of my project presentation. I start my complete design in Wyg and I exported to DWG. Pre visualization is my business, and then give orders!!!! the "teach" part of the show is discussed between my associate, my programer and my lighting director.
    NIck gave also a good idea, perhaps, to have also in design mode some possibilty of positions groups or color groups for fixtures groups. Is that clear?

7. Dino

Dino Dino Mazza | Product Manager | CAST Software

Gonzalo, great to hear that WYG helps you previsualize your lighting and set design projects throughout the year.
    Yes, Nick's idea is handy. It's copy/paste of fixture parameters between looks. Currently you can kind of do this when you "Clone" a Look, but cloning is creating a new Look (but this copies everything).
    Great stuff! Keep the ideas coming!

8. Bhagat

Bhagat Member

I hope funtionality like this, in some form or another, will be implemented. I also hope that one can then copy the looks to the live section as well, so the looks can be uploaded to a desk. Perhaps it would help if moving head pan&tilts can be assigned to focus points/lines as well then.(and not their whole body)
    Bhagat