1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

MAC Pro?

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by IODgroup, Mar 4, 2014.

1. IODgroup

IODgroup New Member

Has Anyone tested WYG' running boot camp on the new mac pro? Also, has anyone used the ATI fire pro cards to run Wyg'? I am in need of a system update and would like to buy the mac ASAP in April when available once more. Thoughts?

2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hello,

CAST Software has not tested on a MacPro, because we believe this that such a machine is "overkill" for WYSIWYG, not only due to its high cost (the same or even faster hardware can be purchased for a lot less money) but also because WYSIWYG will almost never take full advantage of the XEON processor(s) at the core of a Mac Pro machine. That said, there is almost nothing wrong with running WYSIWYG (in BootCamp, of course) on a Mac Pro; in fact WYSIWYG will likely perform very, very well on it, as long as the bundled video card is swapped for a gaming card that WYSIWYG requires. Based on the Mac Pro spec on the Apple website, the only video cards available with Mac Pro computers are AMD's FirePro cards, which are inappropriate for use with WYSIWYG.

In order to better-understand my statements above, I recommend that you read through the latest version of the WYSIWYG Hardware Guide, which was posted on our website last week, and which you can find here: http://www.cast-soft.com/wysiwyg/tip/view/selecting-hardware-for-a-wysiwyg-workstation. The second endnote (the very last paragraph on this page) explains why cards such as AMD's FirePro series or NVidia's Quadro series are inappropriate for use with WYSIWYG. Should you have any questions after reading through this guide, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Dany

3. 613LD

613LD New Member

Hello,

So i use WYSIWYG running on a Macbook Pro 15" (2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5, 4GB DDR3, 10.9.2). Yes I know a little older Mac. But it works just fine. I run in parallel desktop running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I even use a second monitor to do live programming within WYSIWYG.

One thing make sure you have the service packs updated within Windows. I ran into that problem. Just download the newest one and you should be good to go.
    If you have any other questions getting it go, I'd be glad to help out.

613LD