1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Moving objects on one axis

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Numberwrong, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Numberwrong

Numberwrong Member

Hi,

How do I move an object to a specific point but on one axis only

For example you add some truss to the drawing, you get it where you need it on the top view and then you want to change the hight (Z Axis)

Thanks

2. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

You'd have to draw an axys. This axys must have (at least) the lenght by which you need the truss to move. It can be close to your truss or somewhere else on your plot. Now you to attach the truss to the axys. You can now move it in the Design view with the motion controls.
    Not that you cannot change the height of a truss in a frontview lay-out with this feature.

3. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

You can change view to front view klick activate the Z axis in the same toolbar, now it will only move on the Z axis when you drag or Control-m move it.
    wysiwyg axis.JPG

Hope this helps!

Matthieu

4. Numberwrong

Numberwrong Member

Hello, Thanks for your replies

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in the OP,

I want to be able to move an object to an absolute coordinate, but on one axis.

For example:

I build a truss in top view and forget to set the CAD/missing coordinate so the truss sits at z=0 but I want it at 6m trim height.

If I switch to front view and set the Z ortho I can drag the truss up and down but I have to try and manually move it to 6m, which is not very accurate

If I select the truss, click move and set the base point as the insertion point I have to know all 3 coordinates to type in. I may not know X and Y off the top of my head if the truss has been centred to something else on the drawing, I just want to make it 6m high and not change the X or Y values

If I go to front view and select the truss I could move it using direction ie @6<90 which in this example would actually work, however this is a relative value. If the truss had a Z value of 1.564m it would not be moved to 6m.

On other CAD programs you can tab in to the X/Y/Z values and just change them. Is there a simple way of doing what I need?

Thanks

5. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

If you just need to raise the trust 6m in the z plane (height)
    Select your truss,
    select move, (Ctrl-M)
    in the command line type in 0,0,0 to select base point
    then type in 0,0,6m to move it 6m in height.

If your adjusting from another point reference then
    Place mouse pointer over the truss and the tool tip should appear, Last line should show trim height

use that height measurement and same as above.

select truss piece and select move (Ctrl-M)
    type in 0,0,2.3m (hit enter)
    type in 0,0,6m (enter)

that would be my go to quick work around's.

Playing around with this and found you can do this.
    select truss piece
    Select move
    Press Enter
    in command line enter 0,0,6m (enter)

this should select the object at its insertion point then move it to your desired point.

so that should give you three different ways to achieve this move.
    Hope that helps.

Jason.

#5 Jason Gardash, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  6. Numberwrong

Numberwrong Member

Hi, thanks, I got it now.

I thought moving an object by typing in coordinates was absolute not REL. I suppose I could easily drag an object to snap to the grid at Z=0 and then type in 0,0,6

thanks for replies

7. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

From the manual:

To move an object using absolute values
    1 Select the objects to be moved.
    2 From the Edit menu, choose Move.
    3 Press ENTER on your keyboard to move the object from its insertion point, OR click to set the base point for the move, OR type the coordinates of the base point, and then press ENTER.

Note: When you start typing, a box appears at the bottom left-hand corner of the window, showing the value that you enter.

4 Type the new coordinate location for the base point, and then press ENTER.

To move an object using relative values
    3 Type @, followed by the distances to move the object, and then press ENTER. For example, to move an object 2’-0” stage right (X axis) and 3’-0” off the floor (Z axis), type the following, and then press ENTER:

@2’,0,3’

To move an object using distance and direction
    3 Type @, the distance that you want to move the object, the < sign, and the direction (as an angle, positive or negative) to move the object, and then press ENTER. For example, to move an object 3’-6” to the left, type the following, and then press ENTER:

@3’6”<-180

Matthieu likes this.