1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Multiple Machines and a single Dongle

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Cormac, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Cormac

Cormac Member

Hi,
    I'm possibly like a few other users on this forum and have WYG installed on more than one machine perhaps a home desktop,office and maybe a personal laptop or portable machine.
    Can someone explain how the networking server might allow me to have WYG perform operate simultaneously on two machines so i can move files and open on either machine.

Regards Cormac

2. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

What you want to use for easy file management is a service like Dropbox. Google drive (drivestream) seems to have trouble with the .bak temporary files. If you want to work on files at the same time on two machines, there is no current solution. The wysiwyg network dongles (for education) should be your closest bet, but they don’t work the way you describe. You’d need more then one dongle anyway.

3. Cormac

Cormac Member

Hi Floriaan,
    Thank you for the reply.
    I am currently using Dropbox in my current setup but was curious if the network dongle could help me.
    Wishful thinking that it might be possible to authorize my two main machines using the dongle much the same as the re-authorization
    required for WYG s/w.
    I don't want or need a second dongle but i do want to be able to share files quickly across the two machines without having to either use Dropbox or an external drive.

Best Cormac

4. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Cormac,

Your only option for what you wish to do is a cloud service such as what you are already using.

Even if they were still available, a network dongle would not help you, as such dongles were never intended for this purpose. Network dongles (which are no longer available) simply allow multiple instances of WYSIWYG to run at the same time on multiple computers; they do not provide any kind of "file sharing" services between the computers. The WYSIWYG Network Server is the utility required to use and manage such dongles.

Cheers,

Dany