1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Ndi Input stream not working

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by sanderloonen, Oct 10, 2019.

1. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Member

Hi All,

I am having an issue with NDI input.
    here is the set up:
    Millumin 3, sending NDI from a mac.

HP Pavilion (i7-7700HQ, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050)
    running R43, works as expected

MSI (i7-8750H, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060)
    Running R43, the NDI input shows 0,0 pixels in the video manager.
    the NDI stream is fine in the NDI studio monitor.
    I can see it in the video manager, it just doesnt seem to have any pixels...

please help...

ciao

Sander

Attached Files:

2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Sander,

Before you ran it, did you hash-check the installer that you used to install R43 on the MSI machine? I understand that this is a strange question, but there have been a number of instances in the last ten years or so where an installer got slightly corrupted during download, not to the point where it wouldn't run, but on the contrary, where it ran and completed seemingly successfully, but something in the installation wasn't quite right and this ended up causing weird, unexplainable issues like this. If you haven't done this, please do (instructions below) and, if needed, uninstall, download the installer once more, ensure that its hash is correct, install once more, and let me know if the issue persists. (Note that such corruption can occur even while copying a file around over your own private network or via USB stick; I mentioned this in case you downloaded the installer on your HP machine, and then transferred it to the MSI... it could have been corrupted not during download, but during the subsequent transfer.)

To hash-check the installer:

1. Click on the following link to download the HashCalc utility: https://cast.sharefile.com/d/s848cf4402dd49c59.
    2. Open the downloaded .zip file to find the file called Setup[.exe] within.
    3. Double-click on this file in order to begin installing Hash Calc.
    4. On the last step of the installer, uncheck the "View Read Me file" option, but leave the "Launch HashCalc" option checked, then click Finish.
    5. Once the HashCalc window appears, click the "..." button in the top right corner of the window.
    6. In the dialog that appears, navigate to the location where you saved the downloaded installer, select the installer file and click Open.
    7. Click the Calculate button at the bottom of the HashCalc window: after a few seconds, the fields that are checked in the middle of the window (MD5 and CRC32 should be checked by default, but if not please check them) will fill in with values made of numbers and letters.
    If the MD5 and CRC32 values do not match the ones that appear on our download page, please download again, on another computer or perhaps even via another internet connection. Repeat this as necessary until there is a perfect match between the values, and only then install.

Looking forward to your reply,

Dany

3. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Member

Hi Dany,

thanks for the reply.
    That is indeed a "strange" question. I never heard this before.

I did the check and it is all good.
    the codes match exactly.

I also ran an analysis on the NDI stream and all seems to be good with that.

anything else we can try?

thanks

Sander

#3 sanderloonen, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  4. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Thanks Sander,

Sorry again for the weird question, but I needed to rule out a bad installation before starting to fully-investigate the issue, which, so far, seems to be unique to you. (Please note that what I mentioned regarding these "slight corruptions" is in no way specific to WYSIWYG.. it can happen anytime, especially with larger downloads. In fact, hash checks were created (among other things) in order to have a way to check for such problems; they've been around for a very long time and you will find them on many download sites.)

The next thing to ensure is that an exception for WYSIWYG R43, specifically for R43, was added to your Windows Firewall (or any other firewall software you may have installed on this computer). In most cases, the first time you run a new WYSIWYG installation (in this case, the R43 installation) Windows prompts you to add it to the Firewall's exceptions list; if this does not happen for some reason, or if you cancel that dialog and therefore skip over adding the exception, network data intended specifically for WYSIWYG will be blocked by the firewall. To check this and add the exception as necessary, please do the following:
    1. Ensure that WYSIWYG is not running.
    2. Open the Windows (Defender) Firewall Control Panel.
    3. Click the Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall ‘link’ on the left.
    4. In the Allowed apps window that appears, scroll down to until you find WYSIWYG Application in the list.
    5. Ensure that the checkbox on the left, and both checkboxes on the right of WYSIWYG Application are checked, as per the attached firewall.png screenshot.
    6. Ensure the same for any and all other WYSIWYG Application entries in this list.
    7. Click OK at the bottom to close the Allowed apps window.
    upload_2019-10-14_16-53-42.png

Please let me know if this was the issue.

If it was not -- and therefore WYSIWYG was being allowed through the firewall -- please enable NDI output from the HP machine and let me know if you can see it on the MSI machine.

Thanks,

Dany

5. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Member

Hi Danny

As the italians say "mi vergogna":oops::oops:
    it was indeed the firewall settings, in a way.
    the firewall settings were correct, but for the wrong version of WYG.
    (R42 was still installed)

strange though that the NDI stream does come through, but doesnt show pixels (the data I suppose)

Strange also for the hash check, not weird, strange.;)

it works now!

thanks for your help.

ciao

Sander
    ps,
    there is emoticons on the forum:p

6. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hiya Sander,

Great to hear that it's working now! The Firewall "issue" is not that strange actually: an NDI stream is BROADCAST onto the network, meaning that any machine on the network will see that "it's there, ready to be connected to"; this is what WYSIWYG "sees" regardless of the firewall setting. However, if WYSIWYG is blocked by a firewall, while it is able to "see" the NDI stream (in accordance with BROADCAST operation) it will neither be able to see all its details, nor be able to actually connect to it -- but, it goes without saying, once the block is removed, the connection can be established.

Cheers,

Dany