1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

NVIDIA GeForce Driver 334.89, 335.23 and 337.88 Volumetric Beam issue

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by castadmin, Feb 20, 2014.

1. castadmin

castadmin Administrator

NVIDIA has released a new GeForce driver to update their current cards. The drivers causing the issues with volumetric beams are GeForce 334.89

To avoid any issues with your copy of wysiwyg please consider waiting until the driver issue has been addressed.

If you have in fact updated; The last certified drivers to roll back to (available to download here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us) are GeForce 332.21.

We will post any updates Here.

#1 castadmin, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  2. Bhagat

Bhagat Member

Hi,

what are the issues you mention, if I may ask?

Regards,

Bhagat

3. Dino

Dino Dino Mazza | Product Manager | CAST Software

Testing by our QA team discovered that our Volumetric beams pass through surfaces/objects, rather than stopping at the surface.
    This issue started immediately after updating graphics drivers on our testing computers to Geforce Driver 334.89.
    We rolled back our drivers to the previous NVidia certified driver 332.21, and the issue is no longer reproducible.
    We encourage everyone to refrain from updating their graphics driver if they have a NVidia Geforce graphics card.
    If you have already updated your drivers, and experience this issue while visualizing in Volumetric Beams simulation, please revert your drivers back to version

You may be able to do this automatically from within Windows, as described as "Option 1" at http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_rollback.html.
    In case this doesn't work, please follow the instructions in "Option 2" on the same page; you can grab the old drivers by searching for your video card at http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx.

Our development team is currently investigating this issue and as soon as we have more info, it will be posted here and on our Facebook page.
    (Note: This issue is not experienced on ATI graphics cards.)

That's all for now,
    Dino

#3 Dino, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  4. Bhagat

Bhagat Member

Aha, so that was it!
    Thanks

5. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

nVidia launched a new driver, version 335.23, on March 10, 2014. Unfortunately, the issue described above persists with this driver. Please do not update for the time being, and accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may be causing.

Thank you,
    Dany

6. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hello Sami,

We at CAST cannot support and therefore we cannot recommend such drivers. You are, of course, more than welcome to try them if you wish, but we cannot offer any kind of assistance should something not work or should something go wrong.

Cheers,

Dany

7. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

That's great to hear Sami! Thanks for confirming this here! Unfortunately, we still cannot offer support with these drivers, but we are now eagerly awaiting the release of the next WHQL drivers from NVidia, so we can test them.. with luck, they will fix the problem that was introduced a with the second-latest drivers and was not fixed in the latest.

Cheers,

Dany

8. Cormac

Cormac Member

Hi,
    Just seen that a new Nvidia driver became available recently.
    337.88 has anyone had an opportunity to install/test this?
    I know WYGR33 is about to be released this week/month and would be great if it was possible to update the driver and software at the same time.

Regards Cormac

9. Dino

Dino Dino Mazza | Product Manager | CAST Software

Hi Everyone,

Here is an update on this issue...

1. The issue with Beams going through the surfaces in Volumetric Beam mode is fixed in Release 33. Currently, the R33 Beta includes this fix already and anyone running this version on a computer with any of these Nvidia graphics drivers (versions 334.89, 335.23, and now 337.88) will not experience this issue anymore.

2. Unfortunately this problem is still present in Release 32, if running on Nvidia graphics drivers versions 334.89, 335.23, and now 337.88. We had communicated this issue immediately to Nvidia on their Support Forum, and it was reported to us that this issue would be fixed in their next drivers, but unfortunately when we tested driver version 337.88 yesterday, this was not the case. We will continue to report the issue to the Nvidia Support team, and hopefully obtain a solution soon. Anyone running Release 32 can avoid this issue by running the older Nvidia driver, version 332.21, which does not experience this issue.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by all this. As soon as we have an update to report on this issue, we will do so on this Forum thread.

Best regards,
    Dino

10. Bhagat

Bhagat Member

Hi,

Perhaps I should use wyg more, but has this ever been solved in the past years?
    I am still having the same issues with release 36 till Nvidia driver 361.75.
    I cannnot use any surface with texture, custom color or material.
    Nor can I find the 332.21 on the nvidia site anymore.
    This occurs with volumetric as well as enhanced beams unfortunatly.

Perhaps someone has a solution?

#10 Bhagat, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2016
  11. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Bhagat,

Nothing like this has been reported in a very long time.. nVidia definitely fixed the issue in one of the later drivers.

Have you, by chance, tried to do a "clean install" of the latest video card driver? If not, please do so and let me know if the issue is fixed.. (This is an option in the first or second step of the driver installer.) I do recommend downloading the driver anew, just in case.

Does this happen with all your files, even a new one?

Cheers,

Dany

12. Bhagat

Bhagat Member

Hi Dany,

Yes, you are correct. I thought I encountered this issue, but after some testing, it became clear my trouble is something totally different. It only reminded me of this bug hence the bump of the topic.
    I was designing a plot and on the floor of the venue I drew a surface, gave it a dark grey layercolor, so it would act as a balletfloor.
    To my astonishment I was not able to get any realistic footprint of my beams on this surface. Light seemed to go right thru. I can replicate this on other computers as well, on older nvidia drivers (341) , so I don't know if this issue is driver related or not.
    I've attached a few bmp's to illustrate what I mean. Even giving a surface a layer color of "white', reduces the footprint 50%. On the other hand, adding a texture, and giving that a custom color, does not result in this behaviour. Only plain surfaces.
    Perhaps you know more about this?

Best regards

Bhagat

Ps, The fixtures are etc source4's, all on 100% output

Paul and mldekker like this.
  13. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Bhagat,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for catching this! It has enabled our developers to identify a small issue in the Shaded View engine, for which a fix should be available in the next version, R37 (due in the summer). In order to fully-verify the fix though, I would like the file from which you captured the screenshots, so please send it to me (either here or via email). Once the fix is in an internal build, I will confirm it here; this may take another few weeks though.

Thanks again,

Dany

14. Bhagat

Bhagat Member

Hi Dany,

You'll have mail

Bhagat