1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

pipe print tape

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by benzi, Jul 31, 2014.

1. benzi

benzi New Member

Hi to all
    Q:i'm trying to print pipe with an HP Design jet T520 24in that connected to the computer through usb.
    is it suppose to work?
    tnx benzi

2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Sorry but no. Pipe Tapes can only be printed on a Pipe Tape Printer, which in reality is a point-of-sale thermal receipt printer that you might see attached to a cash register in a store.

Please note that the only two such printers that work with WYSIWYG are the Epson TM-T88III (model M129C) (https://download.epson-biz.com/modules/pos/index.php?page=prod&pcat=3&pid=22) and the Epson TM-T20II POS Receipt Printer (https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/POS/TM-T20II-POS-Receipt-Printer/p/C31CD52062). The first printer can only connect to the computer via a Serial Port. The second printer features both a Serial and a USB port for connectivity, but for the time being only the Serial connection may be used.

As such, for either printer, if your computer does not feature a Serial Port, you must use a USB-to-Serial adapter in order to connect. The only such adapter that was verified by CAST and is known to work is made by SABRENT, and the model number is SBT-USC1(M); as of December 19, 2017, this is (still) a current/active product on this manufacturer's website, https://www.sabrent.com/product/SBT-USC1M/usb-serial-cable-adapter/ (and may be purchased directly from there, as well as from other (online) retailers such as Amazon).

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: a (DB9-to-DB25) NULL MODEM cable MUST be used to connect the Pipe Tape Printer to the computer or to the USB-to-Serial adapter. Such cables are available at many (online) retailers; a simple Google search should reveal where you may purchase one locally: https://www.google.com/search?q=db25+to+db9+null+modem+cable.

EQUALLY IMPORTANT NOTE: the driver that makes these particular printers work as pipe tape printers is built into WYSIWYG itself and, as such, the Windows driver for it is not required; the Windows driver must NOT be installed on the computer running WYSIWYG if intending to print pipe tapes because it will cause conflicts with the built-in driver and you will not be able to print pipe tapes.

Cheers,

Dany

#2 Dany, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    bloomy likes this.
  3. bloomy

bloomy New Member

Danny,

I dont suppose this has changed with R40?
    being limited to two very specific printers seems crippling.

4. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Issues with Pipe Tape Printers will be addressed in R41, due this summer: USB connectivity restrictions will be removed (so a USB-to-Serial adapter and a Null Modem cable will no longer be required) and Ethernet-connected printers will be supported as well; accuracy will be improved too, and a number of smaller bugs will also be addressed.

However, the selection of compatible printers will not be expanded beyond the addition of the printer which features Ethernet connectivity (the model number for that will be posted once R41 is released)... As per the "EQUALLY IMPORTANT NOTE" above, in order for these printers to be able to print from WYSIWYG, customized printer drivers are built into the software, so it is simply impossible to "make ANY thermal receipt printer compatible". These printers are as reasonably-priced as the paper supplies they require, they last forever, and, as I am sure their users will confirm, are a very good investment overall.

bloomy likes this.
  5. Floriaan

Floriaan Member

Sounds interesting! Do these printers work equally accurate in the metric system? Or are they only calibrated for feet and inches?

6. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Floriaan,

Pipe tapes printed from WYSIWYG are accurate regardless of what measurement units are set in the file. I'm not sure if printing pipe tapes would make a difference to the kind of work for which you use WYSIWYG, but it is definitely a great feature! Imagine never having to mark another pipe or truss, just rolling out the paper and taping it every couple of meters so it stays I place... :)

Firebrand likes this.
  7. bloomy

bloomy New Member

Dany, thanks. I look forward to it.

I dont suppose there's also a work around for being able to make pipe tape for truss coming? (other than hanging on a pipe near the truss)