1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Preview of items

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Stigrs87, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Stigrs87

Stigrs87 New Member

Hi!

It would be great if you could add the Preview screen that you see if you Right click and Properties of an item, under the list of items. For example if i select a truss-corner that i want to add, I can see how it looks when i click on it in the window under "Fixtures" "Acc" "Truss" etc..

Firebrand likes this.
  2. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

The preview screen is there, but only for library items. I agree that it should also work for fixtures and truss.

Please!

Firebrand likes this.
  3. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Member

That used to work I believe?
    in R28 I think.
    It was indeed super useful and would be great to have back

Sander

4. roygbiv

roygbiv Member

You are right - for truss items, it would be very useful (and for fixtures as well) -- the way it "works" now, it seems like a bug that no one noticed :)
    -especially if it has been working in previous editions

5. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

This never worked for anything but Library Objects and People Mannequins. It is not a bug. Making it work "simply" requires a preview image to be created for every single Fixture and piece of Truss. We can do this of course (in a future version, nor R42) but the installer's size would increase by a significant amount due to the approximately twenty thousand extra files (i.e. preview images) that would have to be added. (That's pretty much all that's kept us from doing this.) Would everyone be OK with this?

(Yes, another option is to have an OpenGL preview, like in the Library Properties window, but I am not sure if that's possible.)

6. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Member

What about a add-on package. This way people who wish the feature can download and install and those who don't mind it missing can have a normal install package.

The first package would be large but future updates should be smaller and can be released with each new build and or every other build.

and yes it would be a large undertaking as there are several thousand files. I will say it is a feature I like to see. when looking for that odd piece or uncertain piece it can help at times.

just me thinking out loud here.

7. Stigrs87

Stigrs87 New Member

An OpenGL Preview which you can spin and zoom would work great! For me it`s actually to see if I have selected the right kind of truss for the most part.

8. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

Exactly the same image that you get, when you CTRL+Enter on a light (off topic: which is super confusing by the way, it should be ALT+Enter like with all other properties) is more than enough and would be very helpful in picking lighting instruments. I would love to have that. It is already included in wyg (just at another place), so it shouldn't use any more resources.