1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

R40 in Parallels - No Shaded Views

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by ncatmur, Jan 28, 2018.

1. ncatmur

ncatmur New Member

Having just installed R40 over the weekend I have discovered that shaded views are not working. I am running under Windows 10 on Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Pro Edition. I seem to remember this happen a few releases ago. Any thoughts??

2. ncatmur

ncatmur New Member

Please ignore the above post. After a quick restart it all works fine. Of course Parallels still only supports Open GL 2 so no volumetric beams.

3. John Bishop

John Bishop New Member

I have the same issue....
    When I open and work on several Wysiwyg R40 files (i.e. one after the other), eventually a .wyg file will not show any shaded views until I restart Wysiwyg R40 and / or Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Pro. Once I've done that, the shaded views work again.

Furthermore, Wysiwyg R40 sometimes freezes until I click on any other program's icon.
    When I click back to Wysiwyg R40, it continues to work fine.

If only there was a full blown native Mac version of Wysiwyg... apart from anything else it would save 60 GB of disk space, and the additional cost of ownership of Parallels and Windows!

Floriaan likes this.
  4. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hello John,

While I cannot rememberany particular issues like these being reported by anyone else, I am not surprised that you are experiencing some problems with Parallels. Parallels runs Windows in a virtualized environment, which means that only a fraction of your Mac’s resources are dedicated to Windows (since, of course, the Mac has to continue running MacOS—else Windows couldn’t possibly run). On top of this, Parallels’s support for OpenGL leaves quite a lot to be desired—starting with the fact that they only support version 2.1, which launched in 2006 and hasn’t seen much additional development since—so it only supports a small subset of the features required by WYSIWYG’s Shaded View.

For all these reasons,it is unrealistic to expect Windows, and even more, WYSIWYG, to work and perform as well in Parallels as it does on “dedicated” computer—“PC” or Mac. We support Parallels because many users like the convenience of using WYSIWYG on Mac machines while still being able to use other applicationsin MacOS, but we do not endorse its use in this environment for anything other than “light” CAD, DATA or PRES mode work. For anything more complex, Parallels is not a good option—it cannot be a good option, due to its inherent limitations.

If you wish to avoid the problems you’ve described, and in order to take full advantage of WYSIWYG’s capabilities on your Mac, and to save some money in the process (by no longer paying for Parallels) I suggest using BootCamp, which comes with MacOS free of charge. You will still need the Windows license (but you already bought that, so there’s no extra cost to it now) and a Windows partition, but if WYSIWYG is all you’re using this for, I don’t think you need to make it more than 40GB, so you’d save 20GB there (if that matters so much).

When you use BootCamp, your Mac boots directly into Windows, and all the computer’s hardware resources are dedicated to Windows, meaning that WYSIWYG will run on your Mac without any of the problems that Parallels is responsible for, and performance will be the same as on a “PC” machine with similar hardware. Note that it seems to be possible for the Windows installation to be transferred from Parallels to BootCamp—https://www.google.ca/search?q=transfer+parallels+to+bootcamp—so you should be able to set this up without too much ado, and start using WYSIWYG the way it was meant to be used.

As for a MacOS version of WYSIWYG, this is something we have considered, but it currently does not figure in any of our near-future plans.

Cheers,

Dany

5. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

I agree with Dany, but I have good experiences with Parallels. The trick is that you have to switch to their so-called "game" settings to get the most out of your possible performance. Also the recommended settings for memory and CPU (as suggested by Parallels) are a bit conservative. If you crank it up as to where you mac still has minimum system resources to run mac OSX, performance will be much better. Resources should be given back to OSX as soon as Windows is idle, so as long as you don't do two things on two operating systems at the same time (e.g. rendering a movie in Final Cut whilst using Wyg) there shouldn't be much of a problem.

6. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Thanks very much for posting this information here, Floriaan! Much appreciated. Hopefully, it will be useful for others who use WYSIWYG in Parallels.

Dany

7. DrewAVM

DrewAVM New Member

I too use Wyg in Parallels. Aside from Parallels always losing track of the dongle (grr, ruddy "wizard" again!) it's pretty good. I have a bit of an issue with shaded views not looking the same as their exported equivalents (see attachments), but it's something I've grown used to over the years!

I have my settings cranked up to very high levels, on a very high specced mac. Can't bear the thought of using bootcamp and losing such a powerful machine purely to windows, everything else I work on is on Mac and the ability to flick back and forth between the two OS's on one machine is invaluable.

It would be worth considering actively supporting users that use parallels, and building up a knowledge base of useful tips (like the ones above) for them.

Attached Files: