1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

reports templates

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by ben, Dec 23, 2016.

1. ben

ben Active Member

Hello Where are the factory report template?

Because I would use the new reports as total weight or trim height but Because I'm working on a project build on R37, the new reports doesn't appear, So I try to import it but I can't find it (I only find my personal reports)

thanks

2. ben

ben Active Member

No idea ???
    Maybe have I to rebuild my WYT file ...

3. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Ben,

You are correct: when opening a file that was created in a previous version in R38, the new Reports (such as Trim Height), do not appear. This is probably "normal": since those particular Reports were not in the file to begin with (even though they couldn't be because such Reports didn't exist), they will not be added automatically simply because the file was opened in the new version. I honestly don't know if it would even be right for us to do something like that, but @people who are reading this, if you have an opinion, please chime in! :) (Does other software do something like this?)

Fortunately there are a couple of ways to get around this:

1. [Quick, easy and efficient.] Merge (CAD mode > File menu) the existing file into a new file which you of course start in R38. This works because when you create the new file in the new version of the software, the new Reports are there by default and the information coming in from the old file will populate them. (Don't forget to UNcheck the Ignore Shortcuts option during the merge, so you don't lose Fixture Groups, Looks, etc.)

2. [Slower, more involved and less-efficient.] Open the existing file with R38, and create a new Report to show the information you require. This is more involved though, and there is really no reason to do this unless, for some weird reason, a Merge doesn't work as it should (or as you need), but that is quite unlikely.

(Note that Report Templates cannot be used here because they are not meant for this purpose: Report Templates only save style information such as fonts, colours, column widths, and so on.. essentially what appears in Reports' Headings.)

You should not have to rebuild your template (.wyT) file... simply Merge it into a new R38 file and then save that as a new template (again, .wyT) file.

Hth,

Dany

4. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

I Do like the 1st option of the merge.
    Having just gone thru this with a show that is remounting and the original file for me was April 2015 (Wyg R34)
    I did try a merge selection but I only needed 3 layers of the 14 layers. and later found this caused some issues with some merged layers I deleted right away.

This has made me start to think about the template file I use at times and what happens as features change and upgrade over time.

For me I would love to be able to start a new file in the current version of wysiwyg then if needed I can drop in layers from another file that may be a good reference start point. for me its things like stage placements, venues (I do keep a separate file for venues themselves that I work in often), Rigging points / Truss placements.

Though a bit different from Ben inquiry I think it's the same line of thinking.

The ability to select which Layers or features to merge in would be great. and would save time from going thru old layers of merge.

But it could also be opening a bigger can of issues like the one I stumbled across where fixture visuals in the front/side/top cad planes lost ability to keep in sync with their rotations.

Jason.

5. ben

ben Active Member

Hi Danny thank's for answer me ...
    So I start from scratch in R38 , have a look to the document preferences to be sure everything is ok, and then merge my WYT file .
    (I try with the box checked and unchecked...
    The result is :
    the layer and scene are merged​
    But I loosed every
    shortcuts as fixture/ truss ( we are back to an old request : a warehouse stock...)
    layout in reports
    print setup
    wizards
    worksheets
    and reports I've already modified
    So If I've no other options I'll started from this new file, i'll will import all the report and worksheet... rebuild the shortcuts... but I loose a big part of the WYT interest.

6. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Ben,

It is normal to lose those things** when the Ignore Shortcuts option is checked when you merge a file. They should come through when the option is unchecked though... hence my advice above: if unchecked, all the Shortcuts from your .WYT file should appear once the Merge is complete. (**These "things" are all Shortcuts--they exist/appear in the Shortcut Bar.) If this is indeed not what happens, please send the .WYT file you are merging to techsupport(at)cast(hyphen)soft(dot)com, and we will continue this from there.

Dany

7. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Jason,

Unfortunately, due to cross-dependencies that can get created between Layers when object Groups are involved, it is not possible to choose which Layers to Merge when merging one .wyg file into another. (I can provide an example if you wish, but I think you know what I'm referring to.) However, a potential solution to this problem just occurred to me as I was typing this, so I will bring this idea up with Soft. Dev. and if anything comes of it, I will let you know. :)

Cheers,

Dany

8. ben

ben Active Member

Hi Danny I've send the wyt file's...
    I know I've to unchecked the box if I will keep the shortcuts, but it doesn't work...

9. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Thanks Ben,

As per the email I sent you, this is to let everyone else on here know that you discovered a Merge-related bug here.. all those Shortcuts (and more!) are supposed to merge when Ignore Shortcuts is unchecked, but, due to this bug, they do not. I've reported this issue to our Software Development Department, and I hope they will be able to fix it in time for R39 (due this summer).

Apologies one last time for this trouble,

Dany

Firebrand likes this.
  10. ben

ben Active Member

One bug at a time at the end they will be none!!! :)