1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Rotate fixtures on floor

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Martinus Magneson, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Martinus Magneson

Hi

Is there a way to get an indication of where a floor inserted light will be pointing when rotated? What I'm experiencing both with and without symbol representation is that there is no beam indication, and the symbol representation does not seem to be indicative of the rotation (unless my fixtures suddenly starts emitting light from their sides when looked at from the right side as opposed to the top).

2. Martinus Magneson

To clarify:

I'm first trying to adjust the position of the fixture. Suddenly it swaps to symbol view even though it's turned off. I can live with that - but the bounds of the fixture is now in the center of the symbol and I have to guess where it goes. Then I try to rotate the fixture - same thing happens here, but now for some reason the beam isn't emitting from the symbol where it should - it's not even emitting from the opposite side of where it should. It emits from the side - making for a challenging guesswork of how the symbol should be oriented to achieve my desired results. It should be needless to say this, but what should have been a 5 second operation now takes several minutes of trying and failing and ending up with a sub-optimal result.

I get that this is because it isn't attached to a hanging structure, but how about making the insertion/position vertice a hanging structure for every floor-inserted fixture? That should make it possible to orient fixtures like usual, just on the floor.

3. Martinus Magneson

Hello - hello - hello, is there anybody out there?

ShaunC likes this.
  4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello Martinus,

It seems that you have discovered a couple of bugs here:

1. When the Wireframe is set to show fixture Models (and therefore not Symbols) it should indeed not swap back to Symbol when performing Rotations (or when Moving, for tat matter). This doesn't happen when changing Pan, Tilt or Spin via the Cuts & Adjustments Tool for a fixture that's been hung (but does happen when clicking and dragging a fixture that's been hung--which, incidentally, also shouldn't happen).

2. The video you sent (thank you very much, btw) illustrates the issue quite clearly -- and there are actually a couple of related bugs there. The feature to allow Floor-Inserted fixtures to Pan, Tilt and Spin like fixtures that have been hung is on our list, and scheduled to be added in one of this year's releases; once that's done, this issue will go away. There are two solutions/workarounds in the meantime though. The first is to insert Focus Positions (or Focus Lines or Focus Arcs if applicable) and then use Quick Focus to aim the fixture precisely where it needs to point. The second is to do what you mentioned at the end of your message, but "manually" of course, which is much more involved:

a. Insert a tiny Pipe at the location where the fixture is supposed to be.

b. Rotate that Pipe in Side (or Front) View 180º. >> This will cause the fixture that you hang from it to "point up" "automatically" (i.e. as opposed to you having to set its Spin to 180).

c. Hang the fixture from this Pipe.

d. [Optional] If you need multiple fixtures like this, copy & paste what you've done so far (or use Array if that applies).

e. Use the usual focusing methods (click-and-drag the beam, or use the Pan/Tilt/Spin controls in the Cuts & Adjustments tool) to aim the fixture where it needs to point.​

I am sorry that nothing can be done to resolve these issues sooner than (hopefully) R43 which is due in the summer.

Before I close, for your future reference, when you encounter rather specific (and clearly urgent) problems like this, it is always best to contact us directly by emailing techsupport(at)cast(hyphen)soft(dot)com.

Regards,

Firebrand likes this.
  5. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

No!!! Put your bugs on the forums so everybody can see it. That way we all know it’s not something we are doing wrong. (Or that it is something we are doing wrong, or that the software is counter intuitive or anything else that is food for thought)

And @everybody who works at Cast: read this forum during your morning coffee and before you go to bed!