1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Sketchup import : HOW TO ?

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Emiliano Morgia, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Emiliano Morgia

Emiliano Morgia New Member

Hello, I've been reading the following post ( see link )
    http://forum.cast-soft.com/search.php?searchid=84190

But yet I can't really understand exactly what's the right procedure to import a .skp file into wysiwyg.

I have some questions :

How does wysiwyg read a Component inside a group?

Does Wysiwyg handle Component and groups in the same way?

If a component have his own layers and is instead inside a bigger group , will Wysiwyg read all the components as one group?

As far I understand , should I always EXPLODE the model before I import it in to wig ?

Thanks

Emiliano

2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Emiliano,

1. If you are using Sketchup 2015, you can attempt to import the file into WYSIWYG, but we’ve noticed that on more complex files the model is not importing all geometry in the file. If this is the case, we recommend saving the SKP file to Sketchup 2014 file format. (We are currently investigating the issue with importing Sketchup 2015 files.)

2. Open your file in Sketchup 2014, select Components and Grouped objects in file and Explode them. It is necessary to break up such objects or they will not import into WYSIWYG, while for Groups and/or Components which contain a high numbers of objects/vertices, you may see an error while importing that there are too many vertices for one object, and these will not import.

3. Save the file as a new SKP file (to save your work at this point), then repeat the Explode step again, and again, (saving a new file each time, just in case). The number of times you must do this will be different with each file, of course.

(I know the following are counter to best practice for Sketchup, but it leads to best import results for WYSIWYG.)

4. Once you’ve completed exploding all such objects in your file, import into WYSIWYG.

5. Finally, once in WYSIWYG, please examine the model imported and remove any unnecessary geometry from the file: the best way to think of this is that if an object doesn't need to be lit, then it should probably not exist in your .wyg file; this is discussed at length in the "geometry optimization" thread, http://forums.cast-soft.com/index.p...ptimization-and-file-efficiency.283/#post-737
    Naturally, you can also do this in SketchUp, in order to have a "cleaner" file to import.

Cheers,

Dany

#2 Dany, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016