1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Spot Numbers for Multi-part Fixtures

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by ADK, Sep 15, 2018.

1. ADK

ADK Member

How do I give a fixture a spot number for a multi-instance fixture? It won't allow me to put a decimal in a spot number.

Diego Quinteros likes this.
  2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Sorry, but this is not possible at this time.

3. ADK

ADK Member

Cool, thanks. For the moment I cheat by using the "Notes" field, but it makes reports difficult. Is it a feature you'd consider adding? I don't know how it would apply with other consoles, but I use it a lot with MA.

Another question: is there a way to get the "purpose" column in the errors view?

4. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Yes, being able to assign Spot numbers correctly to multi-instance fixtures is definitely on our list.

As for tracking errors for the Purpose column, this is not possible, but I am happy to put in a request for the feature. I don't think anyone's ever asked for this (or not in the past fifteen and a half years since I've been working here at CAST, supporting WYSIWYG) which probably explains why it's not there. It does make sense to have it. :)

5. ADK

ADK Member

Thanks Dany,

To be clear I don't mean that I'm encountering errors that involve the purpose column, it just helps me locate the fixtures quickly for x-reference when I don't have the concept prefix in my head. Specifically scenic LED elements in sets are all on their own little 0.5" pipes, so identifying them by position isn't an option. Hope that makes sense.

6. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Of course. :)

7. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi ADK,

The Purpose column being added to Error Tracking came up in a discussion, and I just wanted to make sure I got your request right: are you looking to error-track fixtures which do not have a Purpose assigned (the same as tracking the other "Missing" Attributes, defined in Document Options > Error Tracking) or do you simply want to add this column to one or more of the Error Spreadsheets in DATA mode?

The former requires a software change, to make it possible to have WYSIWYG display an error when fixtures do not have a Purpose assigned.

The latter does not: simply right-click in the spreadsheet pane of any Error Spreadsheet, select View Options, access the Data Options tab, check the Purpose Column Option, (move it to your preferred position in the list) and click OK.

Looking forward to your reply,

Dany

8. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

To go back to the original question:
    It is already possible to assign channel numbers to multi-part fixtures such as multi-cel cyc lights. You have to probably switch the other parts of the fixture on in the lay-out for that fixture.
    In the ETC EOS family of lighting desks you can now select the individual cels of multi-part or multi-cel fixtures (such as Robe CycFX, CP B-Eye, Robe Spider, etc.) by selecting the master channel or spot number, followed by a dot and the cel number. So 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 for a fixture out of 4 cels. That would make sense to implement in wyg as well.

9. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Thanks Floriaan. We will take all this into consideration when we add multi-part Spot numbers to WYSIWYG.

Assigning Channel numbers as you describe above serves a very specific purpose related to AutoFocus (and AutoPatch). This should only be done when connecting to LeHigh consoles (since this is the only manufacturer who implemented this functionality).

Thanks,

Dany