1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Support for Windows 10

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Dany, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Windows 10 is not officially-supported by WYSIWYG and Vivien at this time. Preliminary tests indicate that our applications install, start up and perform basic functions correctly, but they have by no means been fully-tested in this environment. Testing and full validation with this new operating system has commenced, and official support/certification is expected with the next versions, WYSIWYG Release 36 and Vivien 2016, both due towards the end of this year (2015).

Should you choose to upgrade in the meantime and happen to encounter any issues, we strongly recommend reporting them to us. Depending on the problem, we may be able to offer workarounds (should any be available), but please understand that we will not be able to address any issues caused by the operating system itself (i.e. if the same does not occur in the currently-supported operating systems) until the next version.

IMPORTANT: Please note that in the past, some users experienced issues of not being able to run WYSIWYG or Vivien after upgrading the operating system (for example, from Windows XP to Windows 7, or from Windows 7 to Windows 8/8.1). The solution to such issues is to uninstall the application, (re-download the installer) and then reinstall.

We will follow up with any additional information about Windows 10 here, so you may wish to subscribe to this thread.

#1 Dany, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  2. vinntec

vinntec New Member

Hi Dany - I have changed all my computers to Windows 10 for other reasons and I understand that I use WYSIWYG at my own risk until the next version.
    After install of Windows 10, WYSIWYG will no longer start so I uninstalled all versions and downloaded and resintalled from scratch. Now it partially starts then crashes with an error 1000. I am wondering if I might also need to do something to the dongle security (Sentinel?)? If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

This is what the event log says:
    Faulting application name: Wyg.exe, version: 1.35.50.17, time stamp: 0x558e0fdb
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.10240.16392, time stamp: 0x55a85cc1
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00045e93
    Faulting process id: 0x%9
    Faulting application start time: 0x%10
    Faulting application path: %11
    Faulting module path: %12
    Report Id: %13
    Faulting package full name: %14
    Faulting package-relative application ID: %15

3. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hello vinntec,

Our basic testing did not reveal such issues, but we will certainly keep in mind what you reported here while testing this OS--and will provide further information about any relevant/related findings, here. In the meantime, I unfortunately do not have any suggestions for you, other than to hash-check the installer you downloaded against the CRC32 and/or MD5 values found on the download page. I can only assume that you've done this already, but in case not, if the values do not match, please uninstall, download again and perform a hash-check before installing again, to ensure a perfect match. If WYSIWYG doesn't run correctly even after this installation, I'm afraid your only option will be to revert to one of the supported operating systems--Windows 7 or 8.1.

Cheers,

#3 Dany, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  4. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hello vinntec,

Our basic testing did not reveal such issues, but we will certainly keep in mind what you reported here while testing this OS--and will provide further information about any relevant/related findings, here. In the meantime, I unfortunately do not have any suggestions for you, other than to hash-check the installer you downloaded against the CRC32 and/or MD5 values found on the download page. I can only assume that you've done this already, but in case not, if the values do not match, please uninstall, download again and perform a hash-check before installing again, to ensure a perfect match. If WYSIWYG doesn't run correctly even after this installation, I'm afraid your only option will be to revert to one of the supported operating systems--Windows 7 or 8.1.

Cheers,

#4 Dany, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  5. vinntec

vinntec New Member

Hi Dany - I did an uninstall and reinstall and now WYSIWYG says it can't see the dongle and I notice that the dongle is no longer lit up (but Windows knows its there if I unplug/plug-in). Device manager shows that the UltraPro driver is not running so looks like I have completely messed everything up. So I thought I would try a download again and first noticed that it doesn't show a hash code just says I am entitled to download WYSIWYG, and even more confusing if I click on the download I just get taken to the home page. So now I am totally confused what I have managed to do!

Please could you help me to do a complete clean install of everything or direct me to where I can find this info? It looks like the Sentinel software is no longer working apart from anything else so I need to clean everything up and install as if it is a new installation.

EDIT: I will email the request to support as this not a question about Windows 10 support as such.

#5 vinntec, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  6. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Sorry to have to contradict you, but it actually is, since you are attempting to use WYSIWG in an environment that we do not support. That said...

.. the download issue is indeed not related to anything discussed here so far: we experienced problems with our download site overnight, but they have just been fixed, so you should have no trouble logging in and downloading now.

.. one you email us, I will send you the necessary instructions (which always work in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, but I don't know about Windows 10) to fix the dongle driver issue, as even after cleaning out the WYSIWYG installation and reinstalling, the dongle may still not be recognized. To "clean everything up" as you say, you simply need to uninstall WYSIWYG from the Programs and Features control panel (or whatever it is called in Windows 10, in case they decided to change the name). Should this fail for some reason, you will find information on how remove the installation here on the Forum, and/or in the Tech Resources area of our website.

Cheers,

Dany

#6 Dany, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
  7. vinntec

vinntec New Member

Hi Dany - thanks for the info. I thought all my issues were Windows 10 related and might have made more of a mess of my installation than I needed to, however glad to see the resources I couldn't reach are back again. I will do a complete reinstall now and see how that works out.

8. vinntec

vinntec New Member

Hi Dany - complete reinstall (run as administrator with antiv and firewall disabled and dongle removed also MD5 hash verified) after cleaning and back to WYSIWYG being unable to see the dongle. Device driver shows that it is USB UltraPro but no driver installed for it.

If I try and run the Sentinel install file D:\Program Files (x86)\CAST Software\WYSIWYG Release 35\Bin\Sentinel\Sentinel Protection Installer 7.6.5.exe myself (as administrator with antiv/firewall off) it gets as far as getting ready to start installing and gives Error 1305. Error reading from file D:\Users\vinntec\Documents\Downloaded Installations\{52CB2A2E-5FB4-4870-8D16-590658BE4337}\Sentinel Protection Installer 7.6.5.msi. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it. Retry or Cancel. Retry just does it again. I can see this file and have tried running it as administrator directly and oddly this gives exactly the same result so it is there and accessible.

So looks like it is well and truly broken and I am out of luck. If you have any suggestions then again I am all ears, otherwise thanks for your help and I will wait for the next version. :(

9. lightismagic

lightismagic New Member

Hi guys,
    I know, it maybe not of great help, but I have Wyg R35 runnning on Windows 10pro on my laptop Computer without any problems. No reinstall, just upgraded Windows.

10. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi vinntec,

This is most definitely not a problem with WYSIWYG, but rather something gone quite wrong with the dongle driver. Much like lightismagic's comment below, many users have reported to us (privately) that they have successfully upgraded to Windows 10 and are running WYSIWYG therein without any issues. I would be happy to try to help you more, but would like to handle this outside the Forum; naturally, once we get to a conclusion, I will post any relevant information back here--or you can, if you like. :) If that sounds good to you, please email t e c h s u p p o r t AT c a s t HYPHEN s o f t DOT c o m with this issue, and include the Serial Code of the dongle you are using, along with the name, email address and company name of the person to whom this dongle is registered--as this information would appear in CAST Software's database.

Once I have this email from you, I will respond with more information.

Cheers,

Dany

P.S. Are you, by chance using a Mac? If so, please also tell me if you are running Windows in Bootcamp or Parallels. Also, which version of Windows 10 did you install--32bit or 64bit?

#10 Dany, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2015
  11. .Kat.

.Kat. New Member

Any further info from this? I just installed R36 on a 64-bit Windows 10 virtual machine (in VMWare Fusion 8.1.0) and I'm having the same issue with the dongle light going out and wyg not knowing it exists.

12. vinntec

vinntec New Member

Hi Kat - I did a lot of problem determination with Dany and changed a lot of things, two of which had an effect on this. I believe the underlying problem was one of ownership of a WYSIWYG folder had changed to Administrators rather than my login (which is the administrator). The exact details might be different:

[Dany]
    1. Go back to C:\ProgramData\CAST Software\WYSIWYG\.
    2. Right-click on 1.35.50.17-BACKUP and select Properties.
    3. In the window that opens click the Security tab.

[me] The 1.35.50.17-BACKUP folder properties showed the right permissions (in my case Everyone had full control) but the owner was NTI50/Administrators. By comparison, the 1.35.50.17 folder itself was owned by my login vinntec (NTI50/vinntec). If you have the same symptoms then I believe that the problem can now be resolved simply by changing the owner of the backup folder to what it should be.

I actually fixed this by following these instructions from Dany during problem determination - but I believe it was the permissions above causing the problem:

Rename the Release 35 ProgramData folder, which contains various files that WYSIWYG requires to run and which it creates when needed. This folder is located in C:\ProgramData\CAST Software\WYSIWYG\ (click on this link to go directly there) and is labelled 1.35.50.17; right-click on it, select Rename from the pop-up menu, type 1.35.50.17-BACKUP and press <enter>. Now attempt to run WYSIWYG once more. Our theory is that if something happened to your permissions during the upgrade to Windows 10, it's possible that WYSIWYG is no longer able to properly read, or write, or both, to that folder and that is what's causing the crash. By renaming the folder, WYSIWYG is effectively forced to create a new one, which will (hopefully) have all permissions set correctly. (To an operating system, Renaming a folder or a file is, in a way, the same as removing it, as that specific object can no longer be identified or called upon.)

Does this help? I have been running on Windows 10 with no problems since. I am on professional version of Windows 10, if you are on Home it might be different.

#12 vinntec, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2016
  13. .Kat.

.Kat. New Member

I handed the laptop off to our IT team, who did all the things you suggested. It still doesn't work. We're thinking it may be the fact that I'm running my virtual machine in VMWare Fusion rather than Parallels, or something like that.

14. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hello .Kat.: that is the most likely reason, yes. We stopped supporting VMWare Fusion a number of Releases ago, because this virtualize does not support OpenGL even as much as Parallels does. As such we have stopped testing in this environment, so I cannot offer any advice in this regard.

The advice I CAN offer is to use Parallels instead of VMWare Fusion, although it may not be worth spending the money on Parallels, unless you're only looking to use WYSIWYG within this environment only for (light) CADing and/or paperwork (i.e. WYSIWYG Report). For anything and everything else, you will want to use BootCamp so you can run WYSIWYG properly. (BootCamp is free, of course.)

Hth,

Dany

15. Floriaan

Floriaan Active Member

I switched to Parallels for this very reason and since both virtualisation software packages let you pay an annual fee, it is not that expensive to switch.