1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Using Alpha in R38

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by Dany, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi all,

I realized that we didn't include much info regarding Alpha Transparency from PNG images in the Reference Guide, so I figured I'd share some information about how this woks:

- first and foremost, and just to be clear, Alpha Transparency is ONLY supported with PNG files

- any areas of the image filled with any level of transparency will work correctly as transparent or semi-transparent textures in the Shaded View

- any areas of the image which are 50% or more transparent (meaning Alpha fill level is between 0 and 127 of 255) will allow beams to pass through

Beams do not handle different levels of Alpha fill, i.e. regardless of Alpha fill level, beams will either pass through (at Alpha fill values between 0 and 127, and will not pass through at Alpha fill values between 128 and 255). Beams also do not get tinted by colour Alpha: a beam passing through a “semi-transparent colour” (transparency levels based on the same values as above) will have the same colour on the other side.**

Please open the .wyg file within the attached .zip for a "visual explanation" of the above. The image included is the alpha image used in the .wyg file.

We typically craft images to contain Alpha Transparency with paint.NET, and we use the same software to analyze such images that we receive from customers in order to provide assistance with them. We are not image experts, and therefore we do not require the use of anything more complex such as Photoshop or similar software. To add Alpha Transparency in paint.NET, simply select an area of an image with any of the available selection tools, and press <delete>; to add partial Alpha Transparency, set the colour you are painting or filling with to an Opacity-Alpha value between 0 and 255 after clicking the More button in the colour picker.

That said, if you do use Photoshop, a user has suggested the following plug-in for alpha editing: http://www.fnordware.com/superpng/.

Cheers,

Dany

** P.S. We are hoping to improve WYSIWYG by addressing these two deficiencies in a near-future version.

Attached Files:

Firebrand likes this.