1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Video Manager

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Fulgor, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Fulgor

Fulgor New Member

Hello

I'm having major issues with the Video manager.
    I'm running R42, with 8G Ram and a 1060 Video card, I have over 30 AVI's that I'm trying to get Wysiwyg to recognise.
    Each AVI is linked to a separate screen, and I change screens using the dynamic layer function, which does work well.
    The manager is currently holding around 18 AVI's, as soon as I try and add another one, Wyg tells me through a number of pop up boxes that other videos files are disconnected, I'll get sometimes 10 of those, and then usuallly Wyg crashes, and this happens time and time again.

Sometimes when I power cycle the laptop, the offending file suddenly gets accepted.

I've re installed R42, I've stripped the audio off certain AVI's and this has helped,

Are there any top tips I don't know about?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hello Fulgor,

To my recollection, this is the first time anyone has ever attempted to use so many video files in WYSIWYG, and we certainly never tested anything like this... I think the most we tested with was maybe five or six.

WYSIWYG is most likely failing here as a result of the size of the video files ("too many 'large' files"), as well as their encoding ("the system can't handle decoding so many (highly-compressed) videos at the same time"). Based on what you wrote though, that stripping the audio has helped, the latter is the more likely culprit: there's "less to decode" in 'Video A', so more resources can be allocated to decoding 'Video B' -- resources which wouldn't have been available when 'Video A' was "more complex" as a result of containing audio. Therefore, it stands to reason that if you strip the audio from all the video files, you will be able to use more of them; in addition, it is probably also safe to assume that if you transcode the videos to a CODEC that uses less compression, the processing overhead required to decode them is reduced, so, again, you should be able to use more of them. (Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions there, as I am not an expert on this subject by any stretch, but maybe someone else on here can help with that -- assuming you require additional assistance to begin with.)

Which CODEC are your videos encoded with, currently?

If none of that helps, the only way for us to actually find out what's going on is to have your .wyg file as well as all the video files in question. Please send an email to us in tech support regarding this, and we'll send you a link to where you can upload the files. (Please do not send them over email because that email will likely not arrive -- and even if it does, some of the files may become corrupted en-route.)

Cheers,

Dany

3. Fulgor

Fulgor New Member

Thanks Dany

Video manager is currently looking after and connecting to 26 AVI's. Mostly quite stable, and I need another 10 or so to be added, but the last file, it's in there, I just need to edit the address , and this is the sequence of events...
    I change the address and hit enter.
    I then get 20 pop ups saying it's lost connection to nearly every other video, this happens a lot but they still play ok..
    Then the program crashes, no window, nothing.

I'm running an ASUS laptop, it's a gaming one, I7, 1060 Graphics card, 8G of ram which I'll upgrade to 24 G this week as I also get lots of out of memory windows, so saving uncompressed a lot of the time.

When it works, it's stunning, Just a bit temperamental at the minute, which could be my system.

I'll email you now and keep the post updated in case others are having issues.

Cheers

David

4. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi Fulgor,

Looking forward to receiving your file and video files.

A question in the meantime though: have you determined if your system can actually handle simultaneous playback of all those video files ? You can test this by running multiple instances of VLC (one instance for each video); instructions for how to configure VLC for this are at https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Play_multiple_instances/. Please let me know.

I wanted to mention that adding memory will not make any difference to WYSIWYG R42 because it is a 32bit application, meaning that the maximum amount of RAM it can utilize is 4GB, as explained in our Hardware Guide. Also, I do not know how much this will help with the system being able to handle so much decoding, but probably some..

Before I close, I also have to mention that once you go up to 24GB RAM, your computer will no longer operate in dual-channel memory configuration and this is not great, because dual-channel offers a clear advantage over single-channel when it comes to the computer's overall speed. (I wrote "no longer" because I'm assuming that you have two 4GB memory sticks in there now, and therefore you are in dual-channel mode; if you have only one 8GB stick, you're in single-channel.) For more information about all this, please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-channel_memory_architecture.

Cheers,

Dany