1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

VR support

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Lumi_Jay, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Lumi_Jay

Lumi_Jay Member

Hello Dany,

Any plans for us Oculus users?
    Thanks! :)

2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Not at this time, but we are starting to consider adding support for this hardware.

3. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

Make sure you add Vive aswel that would be great!

4. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

This would be a great new step for visualisation. Not everybody has a 3d connection mouse after all ;-)

5. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Not sure if I agree with this particular reason, Floriaan... I mean, isn't a VR setup a lot (or maybe a LOT) more expensive than even the most expensive 3D mouse? I'm not only referring to the goggles, but I can only imagine that the hardware required to drive them at a proper framerate (30FPS min, I would think) would probably have to be considerable... Then again, I know close to nothing about VR stuff (something I plan to amend in the very near future o_O ) so maybe I am wrong about this. :D

6. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

The gearVR is about 600 USD. I think it is like investing in a plasma tv or a projector for your presentations. The VR api translates the input of the accelerometers of the goggles more or less the same as a 3d mouse (or mouse and keyboard) would do. The frame rate needs to be about double of what you would need for a normal monitor, but most game engines seems to cope well at this point.