1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Wig terminology, slightly different to my own

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Numberwrong, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Numberwrong

Numberwrong Member

Hello I am slightly confused by some of the data field terminology used in Wyg and why certain errors are thrown up. I live in the UK and work on live shows and concerts so maybe some of the terminology is different. I use WYSIWYG report for producing lighting plots.

Spot - Am I correct in thinking that ‘Spot’ is what I would call the ‘fixture number’ of a light? Normally (but not always) an intelligent light, Up until now I've been using 'unit' for this. If so what is the difference between spot and unit?

Channel - The manual suggests Channel is something to do with a lights' DMX address? If so how does this differ from 'patch'? I find ‘Patch’ a strange term when referring to a light. In my world consoles are patched, dimmers are patched but lights are ‘addressed’.

Patches > Circuit error
    Why would it be a problem if a light with a different DMX address was on the same circuit? Surely all the lights in the rig will have a unique DMX address (on each universe) however it is highly likely 2 lights may be paired on a circuit.

Thanks

#1 Numberwrong, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  2. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Channel identifies a conventional fixture
    Spot identifies a multi-parameter fixture
    Unit identifies which fixture on a bar (from house left to right or from stage left to right)
    So it is easy to explain that the sixth light should get a L201 gel.
    Patch specifies the dmx adress
    Any channel or spot can have a dmx adress / patch number assigned.