1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Wyg Ideas, Fixture layouts.

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Fulgor, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Fulgor

Fulgor New Member

If I alter the layout of a fixture, I always end up having to make the same changes on every gig for that fixture. Can we have the option to save that edited layout at library level, so every time I use that fixture for ever more, it comes back with the same layout?

David

2. Josh

Josh Super Moderator

This is already possible (and has been, since WYSIWYG 3.5), by making those changes at the "Application Level" as described in the Fixture Label Layout section of the WYSIWYG Reference Guide (starting on page 310 of the current WYSIWYG Release 32 Reference Guide). Such changes may be saved to WYSIWYG User Data Files and transferred to other/future WYSIWYG installations, including future versions (so once you make them, you never have to make them again); for more information on using .WUD files (beyond what's in the Reference Guide), please see the following article: http://www.cast-soft.com/wysiwyg/tip/view/working-with-user-data-files-in-wysiwyg-release-26.

3. Fulgor

Fulgor New Member

Hi Josh

My heart skipped a few beats thinking there was already an answer...wow!..but it's ok..

Yes I remember seeing it, and having a play, and thinking yes good idea BUT... so I didn't pick up on it then. Probably swamped at the time...

It involved a whole bunch of new functions which needed to be learnt off pat and it just added to the list things to do. When you have 4 or 5 plans on the go at once this idea just added to an ever increasing world, it wasn't a bonus to me anyway.

I'd be curious to know if it's widely used?

Yes you can change the layout of a fixture and as an example I went to conventionals/Par/Par 64 and Moving Head/Spot/ VL3000 Spot and changed their layout properties in the start up screen. Everytime I need a Par 64 I have to change it to ANYTHING but a FFS WFL . So I went for my common stock which is CP62 240v MFL.

It's looking good.

So I open up a new file, go for a few shortcuts and sure enough every VL3000 Spot comes up with the layout I like but the Par can..... hang on ....I'm back to this FFS WFL lamp with the odd layout....mmmm....fish out the correct bulb the CP62 and yup there she is.

Now if I change the layout to a PAR 64, chances are I'm looking for the same layout and really the bulb becomes irrelevant. I'll use 3 types in all shows, VNSP, NSP and MFL...so the symbol is different but the layout is common to all bulbs...

So the light is fading...

Then there's the .wud file, which saves up all this data as you build up your personalised wysiwyg , which you add to it in the welcome screen....which means that if you want to build up this great file that gives you a great start or access to data that you like...you have to spend a whole heap of time in the welcome screen, and well you just don't.

By the time the program boots up the hire company has rung looking for a plan and you're on a mission and you remember vaguely something that would be good to get into the Wud file but too late now I'm in Cad mode, my symbols are mostly wrong as I'm using a slightly different fixture model or a new model and I haven't updated the wud file but I will do next time blah de blah.

The problem is getting the data into the library at application level is too laborious and you never have the time. It's a wonderful idea it's just a long trip round the houses...

So you're in a file, your last masterpiece, you look at your plan, nice layout.

(Every plan I print is at A1, scale 1:50, it's always metric, I like my dimensions to look like this, I'll always be using these shortcuts for Fixtures, I like my toolbars set up like this..my layouts will be always the same, I'd love My wysiwyg to start up this same way every time, and it would be nice to save all those as a wud file, and move to another computer, even if I could!)

Everything has to be done bit by bit in the start up screen the same screen that can't disappear quick enough!

This is where I get a bit lost..

Since you will almost never need to use the .wud file on the computer on which you are creating it, in order to avoid possible duplicate files and possible confusion, you may wish to save the file directly to a USB drive or network location from where you can easily transfer it to another computer.

I think it's the reverse, if I have "My User details" as a .wud file, as I described above, I'd happily apply that to an old file. I could find all my toolbars, my dimensions would look right, the layouts would add to existing, fixtures would look right. That would be a bonus. If I overwrite something, hey

So it's the Private fixture library that is correct, and the one I want to use , it's just getting the information into it. I guess sometimes the level of detail is a blessing, and sometimes it's a curse!

Could we have ( or haven't I found!) a button which says to apply "this" layout to every conventional or every moving light in the whole library..I want to see Spot Number Inside the unit, Patch in anything but pale blue centered in this diamond, never show intensities, Text 12, colour this size, etc etc and hey presto everything, the whole library is just how you like it, you just have to tweak a few things around to fit the plan. Keep it file based..could it be a global for movers, global for Pars, global for profiles....?

Could a .wud file be created like a .bak file is created?

Somewhere in the program, a tool to allow you to import a particular .wud file, or just carry on using the basic application settings which should stay fixed. Changes then saved at file level automatically as a .wud file...when you save the .wyg file. When you open a .wyg file, you have an option to use the accompanying .wud file.

Awesome yes please.

Any Thoughts?

4. Josh

Josh Super Moderator

Hello,

I have added your above suggestions to the list of potential features for a future release of WYSIWYG.

Thank you for your contributions.

5. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Hi,

This has been a long time whish for me as well. Make the 'user defaults' global for each fixture instead of having to do this for every single fixture you might want to include into your plots in the future.

#5 Floriaan, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2015
  6. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

As Josh mentioned in his earlier reply, such a feature is on our list of things to develop, but I do not believe it is something that will be done for the upcoming Release 35. Beyond that, I honestly do not know, but thinking ahead to the somewhat loose plans we have formulated for Release 36 and 37, I believe there is a chance that something like this might be added there.