1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

WYSIWYG Visualizer Rig Build

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by CopperTheDestroyer, Jun 4, 2014.

1. CopperTheDestroyer

CopperTheDestroyer New Member

I have been asked by my local church to build a rig to use as a WYSIWYG computer. There will be 2048 fixtures in the show. They have given me a budget of $500. This does not include case, monitor, keyboard, or mouse. Just parts.So far I have: (It is a "Small" build.)

Motherboard: A55M-E33

CPU: AMD A8-6600K

RAM: 8GB AMD 1600 mhz RAM

PSU: CX 630

GPU: R9 270x

And just a standard 5400 rpm 500gb Harddrive

I was also wondering if it really needed an R9 GPU, or if I could use an ASUS Radeon HD 7750

Please let me know what you think as soon as possible.

2. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Hi there,

Unfortunately, it is impossible for a $500 machine (even if this is the budget for the "basic parts") to drive such a large amount of fixtures. With the machine above, you may be able to drive three or four hundred, assuming that none of them are LED fixtures, and that you are using a highly-optimized file, with the absolute bare minimum amount of geometry you can get away with. For 2000+ fixtures, you are in, or even surpassing, "mega shows" territory--such as Superbowl, Olympics opening ceremonies, Eurovision, etc. Most such shows are pre-visualized/pre-programmed on computers based around an Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition CPU (which is even water-cooled and overclocked as high as it can go, as needed), the fastest possible RAM (even 3000MHz, as long as this is supported by the motherboard), an X79-based motherboard, and an NVidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti or Titan video card. For more information on selecting hardware for a WYSIWYG workstation I strongly recommend that you read our Hardware Guide, which you may find at www.cast-soft.com/wysiwyg/tip/view/selecting-hardware-for-a-wysiwyg-workstation.

Cheers,

Dany

3. CopperTheDestroyer

I have a revized build. : http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DreamcastERA/saved/tx3H99

I had a misunderstanding, He wishes to run a few hundres fixtures. 500 fixtures probably. Thanks for the needed response. Yet, would you please assess my new situation as well?

Thanks in advance!

4. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

Sorry Copper, but the link you sent does not work.. Please post the spec here and I will give you my thoughts on it as soon as possible.

5. CopperTheDestroyer

Sorry, here is the link

Keep in mind that they already have the i7 870, but here it is! Thanks! http://pcpartpicker.com/user/DreamcastERA/saved/pVqhP6

6. Dany

Dany Super Moderator

That is a very weak system, and will not be able to handle 500 fixtures. Yes, the video card is somewhat powerful (though in the middle of the list of GTX cards--see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_700_Series) but you would be plugging it into a PCIe x16 2.0 expansion slot, and therefore limiting its power--making it a waste at best. Also, I don't think the 450W power supply will be quite enough for that system.

As I said before, Copper, there is simply no way for such an underpowered computer to allow WYSIWYG to properly-handle so many fixtures... WYSIWYG WILL work of course, but performance will be a serious problem. Apologies for what is probably an unprofessional comparison, but this is the same as trying to run a modern video game on a four-year-old system.. the game WILL run, but it will likely be unplayable, except maybe at the absolute lowest quality settings. If you must run this many fixtures in something even close to realtime, please reconsider your hardware choices: move a couple of "orders of magnitude" up and at least two "hardware generations" forward, to, at the very least, an Ivy Bridge-based Intel Core i7 processor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors#Ivy_Bridge_microarchitecture), a motherboard based on either the Lynx Point or Panther Point chipset (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#LGA_1155), and a faster video card such as the nVidia GeForce GTX 770 or anything above (strongly recommended, considering the number of fixtures).

Dany

7. CopperTheDestroyer

Ok, thanks. I personally understand that a cheap system will simply not be ffective at WYSIYG. So, they have agreed to buy a 600w psu now. (They already bought the GTX 760.) and they plan to buy an i7 4770 and a new motherboard by the end of the summer. Thank you for all of your help, it is pretty difficult to get this money thing through his head though. I have sent a string of emails trying for a $1000 or even $800 build. Thats when i turned here. Im no expert at WYSIWYG yet you have been a lot of help and i thank you for it. Hopefully you can help me further thanks a lot.

8. CopperTheDestroyer

The main problem is that they want it to be a build on top of a Dell Workstation T1500.

9. CopperTheDestroyer

I honestly dont think that they understands the 500 fixture deal either, as there are not even 500 fixtures in the church auditorium. Thanks so much anyway. They really dont know what theyre dealing with and Im still learning some too.

10. sabahat

sabahat New Member

Thank you for your contributions! Very interesting!