1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Floorplan inconsistency?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by Firebrand, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Firebrand

Firebrand Member

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a workaround?
    One of my designers (who is learning WYG) came to me with a issue the other day...

She imported a PDF floor plan, and when she zoomed in in Plan view to draw her venue on top of it, when she zoomed out again, the floorplan moved slightly from where she had drawn the walls. Does that make sense?

She zoomed all the way in when drawing her lines/walls/etc, and if she zoomed out, panned her view and zoomed in again on that corner, the line she had drawn directly over the corner was now slightly off. This was resulting in her venue not 100% matching her floorplan.

I couldn't pinpoint what she was doing wrong. Generally I import DXF and DWG for my venues, so haven't really ran into this issue myself.

I'm assuming either there's a setting somewhere she hasn't clicked a check box, or otherwise that's the risk of drawing over an imported floorplan rather than using a CAD merge with a DXF or whatever.

Any insight?

2. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

I get PDF floorplans all the time, and this has always been the case. I haven't thought too much about it, but you have to realise that every time you use a floorplan, and you have to manually scale it with two points, that are probably blurred out from the PDF import, there will be a margin of error.

Most of the time, my floorplans are provided with (more or less) accurate dimensions, so I will never trust an imported floorplan. For me, it's only a point of reference.

Firebrand likes this.
  3. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Firebrand, that is indeed the "risk", as you say, of using Imported Floorplans instead of DWG/DXF models. ... And as roygbiv said, they are best-used as visual reference rather than for 100% accurate drawing.

Firebrand likes this.
  4. Firebrand

Firebrand Member

thanks, yeah that's pretty much what I figured, thanks.

5. Firebrand

Firebrand Member

Yeah, when I've drawn floorplans from PDF that's what I'd done. use it as a guide and type in my measurements along that vector or using my coords.

Cheers :)