1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Nvidia settings for WYSIWYG

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by sanderloonen, Jan 8, 2018.

1. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Active Member

Hello all,

For a while I have been wondering why my brand new special bought HP "gaming" laptop was not giving me the WOW factor I was expecting while using WYSIWYG.
    Looking into it a bit I realised that it might be just using the standard graphics card and not the discrete one.

Turns out I was right, in NVIDIA control panel you can choose which program uses which graphics card.
    WYSIWYG was not set to use the fancy graphics card, but the standard one.
    I changed it and it is now indeed the WOW that I hoped it would be.
    much smoother performance all over, in CAD and in Design.

I checked the same thing on my MacbookPro (bootcamp) and the same thing was happening. (also with much better performance)

I am not sure if this is something that all of you already knew about, but I thought I'd share it here.

Sander

HP pavillion (i7, Geforce GTX1050)
    MBP (i7, Geforce GT750M)

MoffeLoffe, Dany and lampie like this.
  2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Thank you very much for this information, Sander!

3. Steve Martin

Steve Martin New Member

I have an NVIDIA GTX 1080. I've looked in the NVIDIA Control Panel and do not see a way to choose which programs use the 1080 as mentioned by Sander. Am I just missing it?

Also, I am currently using their GeForce Game Ready Driver. I just noticed today that they have a driver called NVIDIA Studio Driver. Should I be using this driver instead?

Steve Martin

4. sanderloonen

Hi Steve,

I haven't changed drivers, so I cant help you there.
    however, Darren from technical support told me a trick a while ago.

it is pasted here;
    It looks like wyg is using the integrated GPU instead of your dedicated Nvidia GPU.

This change described below will ensure that wysiwyg is using your Nvidia graphics cards as opposed to the integrated GPU

Close wysiwyg and from the desktop right mouse click and select Display Settings

Scroll to the bottom and click on Graphic settings which will open up the following window

[​IMG]

Click on Browse and search for wyg.exe typically located under C:\Program Files (x86)\CAST Software\WYSIWYG Release 42\Bin\ or C:\Program Files\CAST Software\WYSIWYG Release 43\Bin64 (depending on which version of wysiwyg you are running)

[​IMG]

Then click on Options

[​IMG]

And select High performance then Save

5. Henry Ashton

Henry Ashton New Member

Am I the one who can't see the images that are inserted? Just [​IMG]

6. sanderloonen

I cant see them either, but the description is valid...
    (I dont have the screenshots anymore)
    ciao

Sander

7. Steve Martin

Steve Martin New Member

I also could not see the inserted images. I tried using the instructions in Sander’s email but did not find the Graphic Settings selection at the bottom of the Display Settings window (I am using Windows 10). However, in the process I searched my PC for the word graphic and found a file in Documents > WYSIWYG Files > Logs > 1.44.37.3 called wyg_graphics. This file opened with Notepad and seems to indicate that WYSIWYG is indeed using my NVIDIA GTX 1080 since it lists the card under OpenGL Renderer.

8. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Here is what tech support sent to Sander:

You can then verify that it’s using the Nvidia gpu by opening the Task Manager and clicking the Performance tab

Near the bottom you will see GPU 0 and GPU 1 – note which one is for nvidia.

upload_2020-1-17_14-35-44.png

Then switch to the Process tab. Near the right side you will see a column called GPU engine which will show you the GPU wysiwyg is using (it will appear for various actions – then disappear) when you move, scroll, zoom or rotate in the shaded view

upload_2020-1-17_14-35-54.png

If wysiwyg is not using the dedicated GPU (ie. Nvidia or AMD), close wysiwyg and from the desktop right mouse click and select Display Settings

Scroll to the bottom and click on Graphic settings which will open up the following window

upload_2020-1-17_14-37-6.png

Click on Browse and search for wyg.exe

Select it when found, then click on Options

upload_2020-1-17_14-36-44.png

Select High performance then Save

upload_2020-1-17_14-37-54.png

Attached Files:

MoffeLoffe likes this.