1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Wysiwyg startup problem

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Mediasmederij, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Mediasmederij

Mediasmederij New Member

Wysiwyg startup problem - solved

Dear all,

Wysiwyg does not want to launch on my Win 8.1 install. I had the problem with R32 and thought I wait for an update, testing other software in the meantime but with R33 I have the same issue. There could be several causes like the system requirements:

- I am running on a AMD Phenom II 4 core with 8 gig RAM and a Radeon R9 270 graphics card...this should not be the problem but you never know.

- I have installed several lighting design products which do install as well as MS runtimes as virtual USB dongels and sometimes also a licence server. I am running all of them in demo mode where applicable but it could be that there is the glitch. On the other hand Vivian runs just fine.

So what happens is that I get the startup screen where I can choose between the Demo or Viewer but after that the application just quits without error from the application or Windows. I did install Wysiwig with all security applications turned off, so I am for now out of ideas even where to start to fix it.

Anybody willing to go through the haystack of options with me and pinpoint the problem?

Thanks in advanced.

Cheers,
    Volker

#1 Mediasmederij, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
  2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Volker,

This could be a simple issue of a bad installation, so my first suggestion is to uninstall, re-download the Demo installer, hash-check it to make sure it matches the hash value posted together with it on our website, and then install again. If the same thing happens after all that, it is possible that one of the other applications you have installed is somehow interfering with WYSIWYG's startup. (This applies especially to applications for which you use a dongle emulator--which I am not sure why you would need, since if an application requires a dongle, you would have a dongle for it, not an emulator thereof.) As such, the only other thing I can suggest is to uninstall all those applications and then check if WYSIWYG runs. If it does, re-install them one-by-one and try to start WYSIWYG after each successful installation and when it no longer starts, you will have found the interfering application.

Hth,

Dany

3. Mediasmederij

Mediasmederij New Member

Hi Danny,

thanks for your reply. To clarify the emulator issue right away, I am not running any cracks, hacks or any other malicious software on my computer at all. What I mean with virtual USB dongel is the SiudiDriver that is being installed by some applications...among other drivers that emulate some sort of networked setup, anyway. A bad install I tried by indeed re-downloading and install, to no avail. So now today I thought I dig a bit deeper and found first this:

and this entry in the MMC:

So, uninstalled the Madrix Driver and voilá :) There is a new build from 08/2014 that does work with Wysiwyg which I naturally did not have on my comp, so therefore Wysiwyg could not start until now.

Cheers,

Volker

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Ahhh.. that pesky MADRIX driver! :) On my way to work this morning, I made a mental note to come back here and ask you for a list of lighting-related apps that you have on your machine, in case something jumped out at me--MADRIX would have!--but of course I get in and see that you already solved the problem. Awesome--and thanks for posting the solution! :)

Dany