1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Layout folder

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by A319, Apr 21, 2018.

1. A319

A319 New Member

Hi guys!

Where are layout files stored? I've found the Reports and Worksheet files in "Template files" folder, but the I can't find layouts...

2. Lumi_Jay

Lumi_Jay Member

bump, I would need this info also. Why has this not been answered in more than a month?

3. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

When questions require an immediate reply, please contact us in Tech Support. We do monitor this forum, but questions/messages can be missed -- or, sometimes, we simply do not have an answer. Here, the question was missed, sorry.

"Layout Files", by which I assume you are referring to Layout Templates, are only relevant to the WYSIWYG application, and therefore not stored in a "user-friendly" location. If you wish to use Layout Templates that you created on other machines (with the same version of WYSIWYG installed), please Export/Import WYSIWYG User Data feature; for information on using this feature, please consult the WYSIWYG Reference Guide.

Regards,

4. Lumi_Jay

Lumi_Jay Member

Thank you for the reply.

Last question, if I misspelled or need to overwrite an existing layout template, is there any way to manage those layouts?

I did try to import as a template, unfortunately all the smart cells do not follow, making it a pain for the layout we have built here since we use about 25 smart cells in the layouts.

5. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

I noticed too that the smart cells are missing from the layout templates. It almost defeats the whole point of using them at all.

6. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

I noticed this as well. not sure it subject came up while I was at Cast last month but I know I was talking about smart cells. but may been more whats missing from them in terms of names and links to other parts of the program.

7. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi all,

I wasn't aware of such an issue, but I've just asked QA to look into this. Once we figure out what's going on, I (or someone else) will post more details here.

Thanks,

Dany

8. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

This is not a problem, as far as we can tell: by design, in Layouts, if variables are not given any values, their name will appear in a Text object instead of it being blank; in Worksheets, the cell of a SmartCell whose variable was not given a value will appear blank. Here is an example which illustrates how all this works, both when using Layout Templates and when using WYSIWYG Templates (i.e. .wyT files):
    1. In a new .wyg file, go to PRES mode's Worksheets tab and create a new Worksheet.
    2. Insert the Venue SmartCell in this Worksheet's A1 cell.
    3. Insert the Chief Lighting Designer SmartCell in this Worksheet's A2 cell.
    4. Switch to the Layouts tab and create a New Layout.
    5. Insert a Worksheet and bind it to the Worksheet you created above.
    6. Insert a Text (object) and type %Venue% within. (For clarity, the word "Venue" is preceded and followed by the percent symbol; I mention this because to my tired eyes, the symbol looks like the number 96. o_O)
    7. Insert another Text (object) and type %Chief Lighting Designer% within.
    8. Create a new Layout Template.
    9. Click the Options menu, select Document Options and switch to the Production Team Info tab.
    10. Enter theatre into the Venue field.
    11. Click OK. >> The A1 cell of the Worksheet that you inserted onto your Layout now displays the word "theatre", as does the Text object from step 6.
    12. Save this file as a WYSIWYG Template file (i.e. .wyT); ensure that you save it in your %UserProfile%\Documents\WYSIWYG Files\Template Files\WYT Files folder.
    13. Click the Options menu once again, select Document Options and switch to the Production Team Info tab. **
    14. Enter me into the Chief Lighting Designer field.
    15. Click OK. >> The A2 cell of the Worksheet that you inserted onto your Layout now displays the word "me", as does the Text object from step 7.
    16. Start a new .wyg file (wihtout saving changes to the current file).
    17. Go to PRES mode's Layouts tab and create a New Layout from the Layout Template you created in step 8. >> The Worksheet's cells are blank, and the Text objects from steps 6 and 7 display %Venue% and "%Chief Lighting Designer%" respectively, because this is a new file and no values were assigned to these variables yet. (To assign values, repeat steps 9 & 10, and 13 & 14.)
    18. Close this file (without saving changes).
    19. Create another new file, starting from the Template you saved in step 12.
    20. Go to PRES mode's Layouts tab. >> The A1 cell of the Worksheet that you inserted onto your Layout displays the word "theatre", as does the Text object from step 7 because this value was saved with this variable in the template (.wyT) file. However, the A2 cell is blank, and the Text object from step 7 displays "%Chief Lighting Designer%" because this is a new file and this variable was not given a value yet. (To assign a value to this variable, repeat steps 13 and 14.)

Please let me know if you have any further questions about any of this.

Dany

**/P.S. We are aware of the fact that the Production Team Info table does not "stay sorted" after the Document Options dialog is closed. This issue will be addressed in R41.

9. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

I think it's actually about exporting Worksheets or Worksheet templates. Not .wyt files. From within a worksheet go to File>Export>Worksheet template. This doesn't keep the smart cells in place.