1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Floorplan brightness

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by roygbiv, Jun 21, 2016.

1. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

Hi guys

Any chance you can implement a way to dim down an imported image/pdf? and/or invert the colors.
    If I import a PDF file, the white is too white, and it's hard to see the lines of my wyg-drawing - not only on white/black layers.

I know I can do this in most picture editors, but I hate wasting time on these things ;)

2. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

3. mldekker

mldekker Member

4. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Makes sense.. it's going on the list.

5. Firebrand

Firebrand Member

looking forward to it, thanks Dany :)

6. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

Also, I've said it before, but I really miss the possibility to add floorplans to other views than the top view!
    I have a costumer that only supplied to 2d front view of a church entrance - the rest I can see/guess from Google Maps. I have to draw it all in a top view because of the limitation of "Floor plans", and then afterwards turn the whole drawing 90deg on the x-axis.
    The shaded view is really awkward when drawing at that angle (before it's turned)

mldekker likes this.
  7. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Active Member

wondering if there has been any advances in the way floorplans are dealt with?
    transparency/invert/scale in CAD mode/on,off per layout
    maybe have it as an object on a layer would make this possible?

thanks

Sander

8. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

I know I had a chat with Dany and Dino about floor-plans and placements and finding the center point of the floor-plan. I believe I also talked about scaling and transparency but it was a few months back and we talked about several things that day.
    I do like the object on a layer idea. I say best thing to do is write the guys at Cast and put in a request. I will defiantly bring it up in my next chat with them.
    Dany also holds a lot of little tidbits as to different ways of using features. that he's always willing to share if asked. lol.

Jason

9. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks @Jason Gardash! :) Unfortunately, I don't think I have any advice to offer for how to go about achieving some the above.. most of this needs further development on our side.

That said, @sanderloonen, to answer your question, while we did make some improvements to the Import Floorplan feature, some of the requests above are still outstanding. For example, it is now possible to import Floorplans into the Left/Right and the Front/Back Views, and it is possible to make changes to an Imported Floorplan, including changing the scale, as per your question, after the import is complete (by right-clicking in the View with the Imported Floorplan and then clicking Modify Floorplan).

Some thoughts/questions on what was proposed above, to make sure we "get things right":
    • Tranparency. Can you explain how having a floorplan 50% transparent or whatever, would help? Or is that just a way to get it to be dimmer (as per @roygbiv's suggestion)?
    • Associating the Floorplan with a Layer. A good idea in theory, but not in practice; the better option is to "link" Imported Floorplans with Scenes (including the (All Layers) and (Current Layer Only) Scenes). In the meantime though, the Hide Floorplan command is available for this purpose.
    • Inverting colors makes sense, as does a brightness control and automatically finding/identifying the centre point.

Hope to hear from you guys, and maybe we can get all this into one of this year's releases,

Dany

Firebrand likes this.
  10. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Active Member

Hi Dany,
    thanks for your fast reply,
    here some more notes

• Tranparency. Can you explain how having a floorplan 50% transparent or whatever, would help? Or is that just a way to get it to be dimmer (as per @roygbiv's suggestion)?

Yes, but also proper transparency, this would help with printing a layout with floor plan.
    I generally want the venue on the plan, but just as a reference, not as "important" information

• Associating the Floorplan with a Layer. A good idea in theory, but not in practice; the better option is to "link" Imported Floorplans with Scenes (including the (All Layers) and (Current Layer Only) Scenes). In the meantime though, the Hide Floorplan command is available for this purpose.

again, yes, but.
    if it would be on a layer, we could have multiple floor plans. (I am doing a tour of small concerthalls who only have PDF's and I dont get paid enough to make a WYG for each venue :))

• Inverting colors makes sense, as does a brightness control and automatically finding/identifying the centre point.

But the absolute best would be a possiblilty to import "layered PDF's" or to divide a PDF into layers by color or something (no idea if that is at all possible)

thanks

Sander

11. roygbiv

roygbiv Active Member

Hi guys
    I really appreciate this discussion coming back! :)

As mentioned before I would like the possibility to mess with dimming, so the whites in a PDF will be grey. Inverting and other color changes could be interesting. Transparency can make sense, especially if we get the possibility to have more than one floorplan at a time.

I draw new venues very often (but this is also relevant for exising venue wyg-files), as my company is doing conferences in the weirdest places (hotels, lobbys, and places that actually is not very suitable for event work ;)). Then I'll receive a PDF with measurements from the venue, and from time to time also a seating plan (without measures). Then it may also be a TV production, so I'll receive a PDF from the camera guys with camera placements. I would love to be able to turn all of these on/off, and using individual transparency control of each floorplan. Each floorplan also need to have separate scaling properties.

Also, I find the process of putting a new floorplan into an existing venue drawing tedious. Why do I have to go through a popup wizard to point out what I think is zero, when I could just be a matter of moving a floorplan "surface", like any other basic object?
    Sometimes it ends up with me having to unlock all my locked layers, move all of my objects (try doing that with 2.000 chairs) to try and fit the center of my drawing to the center of the pdf floorplan.

Have a great day :)