1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

framing shutters design

Discussion in 'wysiwyg' started by Jesperspier, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

Hi,

Is there a way to use the framing shutters on fixtures (like VL3500Q, BMFL Blade etc.) on design mode? We can't find it... If it can't, wy not? Technicly it works the same as the framing on normal Profile spots?!

Thanks!

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry Jesperspier, but this is not possible for the time being. As for your comment, that it technically works the same way, yes, this is true, but WYSIWYG's current internal coding does not allow for this feature of automated fixtures to be visualized, in much the same way as you couldn't drive those shutters by pushing and pulling on them with your hand in real life. (True, this is not quite the same thing--after all, we ARE talking about SOFTWARE, a virtual environment--but as I said, this is a current limitation of Design mode, and we are hoping to be able to overcome it soon.)

That said, please note that shutters do simulate correctly in Live mode when you are connected to a console, so if you happen to have access to a WYSIWYG Perform dongle, simply open your file with that dongle plugged in and connect to your console, in order to previsualize your shutter cuts.

Cheers,

Dany

3. lightismagic

lightismagic New Member

If I remember correctly, I asked for this feature about 6 years ago?:rolleyes:

4. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

And now 5 years later... It still can't... We have to buy a Preform dongle to make a design... Still a strange way of thinking...

5. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Active Member

can we link to that forum post of last night, where Danny says that Cast is listening:(

6. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Active Member

Hi,
    is there any news on this feature?
    Ciao

Sander

7. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry Sander, but this will not be in the upcoming R46. This release WILL contain what we promised back in September though.

With regards to your earlier comment, we ARE listening. However, as I explained in this thread (where you posted yourself, so I am sure you read my message) when it comes to features like this, which are, quite unfortunately, very complex and require a large development effort, it is oftentimes impossible to drop a large number of other much-needed features, which can ALL be developed, in favour of developing a single one. Again, this is not to say that this will not be done... in fact, I've been thinking about this and have come up with a new idea which may make this possible with slightly less difficulty. I haven't run this idea by Soft. Dev. yet because I want them to concentrate on R46, but I will be sure to do so once R46 is wrapped.

That is all I can say for now, and, as always, I hope you can understand.

Thanks,

Dany

8. ShaunC

ShaunC Member

Could you have a '4 Blade Shutter' added as an Accessory that worked in Design Mode? It could be a 'Wysiwyg Design Shutter' that didn't really exist in the real world. Not sure if implementing one accessory + design controls that can be added to a moving head is easier than having design controls for all shutter fixtures in the library. I understand it's probably best to do it the 'right way' one time, even if it's down the list a bit.

Floriaan likes this.
  9. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

It is just a standard fixture with no added accessories. I have this as well with ADB PC's with added standard barndoor accessory.
    Sorry, wrong thread.

10. Floriaan

There are a few fixture that you can switch from dmx controlled to manual in the fixture options section. This could also work for the shutters maybe.

11. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

Hi All,

I was reading some old posts and realized that my first post is not quite complete. For me it is not only about the shutter function but about all functions that you can visualize in Live mode. Such as rotating gobos, strobe functions, single cell control of multi-cell spots, etc. I really plead for an upgrade of the Design mode! R47 realy need some Designmode and Shaded view (BPR materials or equivalent) updates! Some big company's already looking/using to other programs like Depence2 for the visualization and will eventually run away. I'll use and love WYG for about 16 years now
    and I hope to continue working with WYG without having to switch through the customer's visual requirements.

12. Floriaan

If you asking to basically built a lighting console into the wysiwyg software, I think that is not feasible. For lighting that is eventually ment to be controlled by an actual lighting desk, this would be an extra step (and a whole new console to learn too).

I would think it is better to go for a more flexible way of renting parts or modules of wysiwyg, that you can pay for per day that you actually need them. Then you could have the wysiwyg Design dongle and expand to Live mode for a few days, so you can connect your console or off-line editor with visualizer output to do your renderings. Or you can rent the VR module if you need to do a client presentation, etc., etc.

13. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

I do not entirely agree with this (I think the first time i disagree with Floriaan ;)). I don't expect a full lighting console. The tools that already exist are sufficient. However, I cannot call it "Design" if I cannot create a design because I cannot visualize the functions of the spots. Lets take a wall with multi-cell strip lights. Here you want to be able to show in your design what it does when you put an intensity spread over it. Or, for example, LED multi-cell fixtures with a color gradient. This is possible with the current tools if you could select single cells (you already can even select them separately, but the fixture still reacts as a whole ...). Or if i draw strobes, I cannot use them in "Design" mode for a render. I just think it's weird to have to buy a "Live" version and lighting desk/software to make a complete design...