1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Alienware Specs - Radeon R9 370 vs GTX 970

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by tbslyter, Oct 27, 2015.

1. tbslyter

tbslyter New Member

Have a church client looking to upgrade from a 2013 subscription.

Wants to replace his current Alienware station with a new one as he says it is sluggish.

Unfortunately he pulled the trigger before I weigh in, but it sounds like they may be able to do some tweaks before it ships.

Looking to do about 20 movers, 40 LEDs and 128K of conventionals. Center video projection.

For special events they sometimes get up to 40 movers and 70 LEDs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the specs.

[FONT=&amp]4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Windows 10 Home[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]8GB Memory
    2 TB 7200 RPB SATA HDD[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]AMD Radeon™ R9 370 with 4GB GDDR5[/FONT]

First question is the video card.[FONT=&amp][/FONT] Not familiar with the R9 370

[FONT=&amp]Looks like the options are [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]GTX 970 4GB = $300[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]GTX 980 4GB = $550[/FONT]

Please let me know if there are any red flags on this system.

Thanks.

Travis Slyter

#1 tbslyter, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
  2. aclight

aclight New Member

Hey,

if its the i7 4790 or the "k" version, its ok, any other then this, i will recommend you to replace.
    the memory is ok also, the software can handle a max 4GB of ram and you have 8.
    i will consider to replace the HDD with an SSD
    Also if you can switch back to windows 7 it will good
    Regarding the GPU, the GTX 970 is more high end card then the R9, a batter clock speed and overall performance, if you plan to run the software on the highest setting (volumetric High) the 200 movers, 200 LEDs and some 50 meters led screens are the top as you can squeeze out of the GTX 970.
    If you have the money, of course go for the 980, it will give you 20% more performance then the 970, keep in mind that an fully Overclocked 970 will give you the same performance as a stock 980 (but keep this fact here...).
    There is another thing you can consider, its an upgrade for the future, if you buy now a 970 at 300$ and in the future you will need more power, you can buy another 970 in 300$ or less and connect both with SLI bridge. that way you will have twice the power in 600$, 2xGTX970 are a lot more powerful then a single 980, 40 FPS MORE!!.
    also, before you run to buy two 970's, there some software restrictions regarding SLI, wysiwyg don't using the advantage of two cards, and will consider it as single card, also, some users report on a lower performance rank when using SLI.

So, i think u have all the answers u need to make the best choice for you.

Good luck

Amir