1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

best setting to have a nice cyc

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks!' started by Pilou, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Pilou

Pilou New Member

Hi
    I need your help to have a nice cyc with back lighting.
    what is the best setting for the surface ?

thanks for your help

2. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Backlighting a Cyc currently doesn't seem to be possible as wysiwyg doesn't support translucency. You can either light your cyc from the front, make your cyc into a light emitting surface (could even be DMX controlled with an external desk or the Miniconsole) or try to play around with transparency, although the latter option requires quite a bit of experimenting.

3. Pilou

Pilou New Member

thanks for your reply. It's what Ihave seen :-(

4. famifax

famifax New Member

Hello

Any updates for this thread?

Thanks in advance

5. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

[Please see the next message as well, for an update to this.]

To back-light a cyc, please enable Alpha Shadows in the Shaded View Options' Simulation tab and set the Transparency for the Surface that represents your cyc to 1%. Once you've done this, you may wish to make the cyc fixtures' Source Discs invisible behind the cyc (unless you want/need to see them); to do this, access their Properties > Fixture tab > Beam Options subtab, and set the Source Disc slider to 0.

Here is a link to a sample file for this (sorry for using such "old-fashioned" cyc units) and here's a screenshot from that file so you can get an idea of what it will look like:

upload_2020-11-18_14-53-26.png

I am not sure why light is poking through at the bottom of the cyc even though it's resting on the floor.. I never saw this before, but I will ask Soft. Dev. to look into it and get back to you.

Hth. Let me know if you have any other questions, please.

Cheers,

Dany

[Please see the next message as well, for an update to this.]

#5 Dany, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  6. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

I checked with Soft. Dev. as promised and they just replied with a couple of things worth mentioning:

1. While the technique described above works (i.e. to enable Alpha Shadows in order to create the back-lit effect) Alpha Shadows can cause lower performance, and they are not absolutely needed in order to achieve this effect. In the file I provided, you can simply disable Alpha Shadows to get the same effect:

upload_2020-11-19_11-10-22.png

2. The light bleeding through the bottom of is caused by a floating point error which cannot be eliminated or even well-mitigated, so the solution is to add a small Riser (Length: 48'; Height: 8"; Depth: 4") along the bottom of the cyc, and raise the bottom of the cyc Surface to the top of the Riser as shown in the next screenshot. (Actually, such an object in that spot makes for a more realistic cyc anyway, because cycs typically have a batten along the bottom, to keep them as flat as possible when hung. :rolleyes:)

upload_2020-11-19_11-32-9.png

Cheers,

Dany