1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Do projectors work in live-mode?

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by ilduendo, Dec 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ilduendo

ilduendo New Member

Hello folx, a studio I work for has rented a wyg license in order to do some projection mapping projects. Issue is we only saw the projector working in design or cad mode, but not in live mode. Is this the expected behaviour?
    thanks in advance

2. ilduendo

ilduendo New Member

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

What kind of video source are you using? What kind of projector? How did you patch it?
    You need to at least provide some more information.
    Is this the first time you work with video in wysiwyg? I would suggest to take the time and educate yourself in the world of NDI and efficient videocodecs. This greatly helps getting things started. As is said somewhere else on this forum there is a difference in preparing a pixel perfect video on your videoserver and making a prefiz in Wyg. You must not expect to be able to use the same resolution for instance.

4. ilduendo

ilduendo New Member

Sure didn't want to get too muddy with it since the issue seems pretty straightforward.
    I'm using a Christie Lights Roadster.

This is a sketch of the video signal flow

Touch Designer (1920*1080) --ndi> WYG --> Projector

Output in WYSIWYG Design mode is as expected
    Output in WYSIWYG Live mode is blank (projector is off)

If I do this as an example...

Touch Designer (1920*1080) --ndi> WYG --> Surface
    ...or...
    X (a*b) -->ndi> WYG --> Surface
    ...or...
    X (a*b) -->ndi> vmix --ndi> WYG --> Surface
    ...they work just fine in WYSIWYG Live and Design modes

I've tried a variety of projectors all patched to a.001 making sure those channels are getting dmx signal in wyg and set to the standard according to the manual.

So to rework my question: do projectors work in live mode? I would assume so since they can be patched but I couldn't get them to work in live mode.

On a more personal note Floriaan, glad to see my question answered by you... I lurk this forums sometimes and i always see you pop.
    While I'm not an expert on WYG think I can share some cool tricks with you.

My workflow is this:

Design EVERYTHING in vectorworks -> export to wyg (got a cool workaround for fixtures)

Also I do have some cool tricks for getting better performance out of wyg, and I even have my own ray tracing shaders for it (they work on non rtx cards, they are jsut shaders).

I will post them after this summer which has been hectic from the get go. I'm from Argentina so it might take a while hehe

5. darren powell

darren powell Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there,

Would it be possible to send your file to tech support for further investigation. We have tried to reproduce the issue here without success so are curious to see if it’s something specific with your file.

We don’t have a license for Touch Designer (we tested using a different application and the non-commercial Touch Designer appears to max out at 1280x1280) but do let us know what version you are using and if you have tried with any other NDI streaming application.

Thanks

6. ilduendo

ilduendo New Member

what yo you call "without success?" what were your results?

7. Jason Gardash

Jason Gardash Active Member

Ilduendo - I would say Darren means that they can have the projector working in live mode when they tried it. just weird wording to read on paper I think.
    You mention that you have a work around for fixtures moving from Vectorworks to Wyg That would be my first area of investigating as i tried and could do it without issue. Using Resolume and Arkaos MMP. with a roadster 18K and 12K
    What version of Wyg are you on? Which model of roadster are you using HD or S 12K,18K 20K? You mention something about ray tracing shaders. Could it be something tied to that?
    Best bet is to send the file to Cast-Soft and they are pretty quick to figure out any issues. It would get you working with the file quicker than here debating results.

8. ilduendo

ilduendo New Member

You can import fixtures from vwx straight into wyg, but you won't get the correct orientation. There are workarounds using lines for this

The projector issue was already solved, it was just funny that they ask for a proper walk through of what's going on and then they come and answer as vaguely as they can