1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Enable "Moving Scenery Designer Tool" in CAD mode

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Jesperspier, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

I regularly work with moving scenery. Now I have to guess where this object will come in CAD mode when I want to hang a light in front of it. Then switch to Design mode to see if it hangs about right ... and that over and over again till it's in the right place... So please enable this tool in CAD mode too. I don't mind if it's a toggle mode that disable edit all items that are on a Axis and disable export, etc. if that makes it technically manufacturable...

Floriaan likes this.
  2. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

I like the suggestion. Even better would be to be able to print this as well. It would be really helpful to show the trajectory of things that are moving and copy over the end state of the object(s) and show this on a plot in a very light grey or dotted outline for instance. That could make things much clearer on a plot.

Jesperspier likes this.
  3. sanderloonen

sanderloonen Active Member

Yes please, this would save a lot of time and make plans a lot clearerer.

Jesperspier likes this.
  4. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

I totally agree!

5. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for this suggestion @Jesperspier -- as well as for the follow-up, @Floriaan. I could not agree more! Great ideas!

I asked Soft. Dev. to check into the possibility and, unfortunately, it turns out that it is not a simple question of just "flipping a switch" and allowing the Moving Scenery Tool and its functions to be available in CAD mode. Clearly, when all this was added to WYSIWYG back in R16, what you describe was not considered. (I do not know why, and the people who were responsible for the software's design back then are not available to answer this question -- not that having the answer would be relevant in any way at this point.)

Even more unfortunately, making such a change at this point would require considerable effort, at least an entire release's development cycle (which naturally means not developing other features which may be more beneficial to yourself and other users). That is not to say that I will not consider this improvement for one of next year's releases, but, like all other features/improvements/bug fixes in a new release, they have to be weighed against each other in terms of usefulness/user impact vs. development effort. (This is the "balancing act" that must always play out when planning a new release -- and is something we are all familiar with, as it is pretty much the same as the time-old "thing vs. cost vs. time it takes to have that thing" dilemma.)

All that said, this is now near the top of the list of improvements list to consider for R47 or R48 next year -- as it goes without saying that it is not possible to develop this in the time we have left for R46, especially not considering the features that we have already committed to.

Thanks,

Dany

Floriaan likes this.
  6. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

Hi Dany,

Clear story. In any case, it's nice that you agree that it would be a useful feature and that it is therefore on the wish-list for a later release.

Thanks, Jesper

7. Jesperspier

Jesperspier Member

Hi Dany,

I would like to add something to my previous post. I would like to be able to fill in the position of the moving scenery with two (or more) digits after the decimal point in design mode. Now you can only take 100 steps. For large distances or rotations 100 steps per function are very big steps.

Thanks

8. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Jesper. I will look into this -- hoping iit's as easy as I (and you ;)!) think it is. :D