1. Welcome to CAST's newly designed and improved Forum

Dismiss Notice

Fade curve

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Floriaan, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

On (longer) fades there is a 0 second snap in of the first 1% of output in Live and Design modes. (In Design while fading from one look to another, in Live during fades from the desk).
    It looks like everything is cheap LED's. Would it be possible to make a more friendly curve on fade in/out?

As a designer it is quite hard to prepare subtle fades this way. As the wysiwyg simulation gets so much better, this begs for a bit of attention.

2. Dany

Dany Administrator
    Staff Member

I will discuss this with Soft. Dev. and we'll see what we can do. Note, however, that this may be a limitation of current display technology. I don't code, so even if I looked at our code, I doubt I'd be able to decipher it, but I can't imagine that this "snap to 1%" is in any way deliberate... why would it be coded like that? It could very well be that the code is doing exactly what it's supposed to do (i.e. "instructing the beam to properly-fade between 0 and 1%) but your monitor (or ANY monitor) simply cannot display such subtle differences in intensity. The new 10-bit HDR monitors that are starting to pop up all over the place might help in this case, but we've never tested with the like. (Have you, by chance? And even with such a monitor you experience the same?)

3. Floriaan

Floriaan Well-Known Member

Hi, Thanks for your answer. I think the code is doing what it’s supposed to do, as you are saying. The problem is exactly the same as with LED fixtures of 10 years ago. This first 1% is correct in terms of dmx, but as there is only 255 steps in led fixtures usually some smoothing is done to make it look better. Also In modern led-fixtures the first few steps are set to a much dimmer brightness then they should Be in terms of the rest of the lineair or s-curve.
    The last thing that can be done to make it more tungsten-like is to add a small delay in fading in and out and add more steps to the fade to make it effectively a 16 bit fade. This also simulates the ‘inertia’ of a tungsten filament. This last thing I would only add to the tungsten fixtures, as it makes the lights react a little bit slower.